HP DVD 1060r SATA multi drive, Win 7 will not install drivers now - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default HP DVD 1060r SATA multi drive, Win 7 will not install drivers now

I wanted to burn a CD on my DVD/CD drive only I see win 7 does not see it now. This is a recent change as it worked fine before. I don't even know when it happened, I just noticed it. this is a HP DVD 1060r multi DVD /CD drive, SATA. I uninstalled it and restarted windows, but when new hardware was found, I got the error device driver not installed. I checked windows compatibility web site, the drive is fully compatible, and Win 7 is supposed to have the drivers nothing needed.
Running Windows 7 32 bit pro, AMD Athlon 64X2, 4400+, 4GIG Ram, Nividia Gforce 7800Gt.

I have looked and searched, and I'm coming up zip. I don't know why this happened all of the sudden, it worked fine before, I don't know when it happened, I just noticed it. I cant find any newer drivers , they are supposed to be built into win 7. So I'm stumped. Setup recognizes the drive, and sees it fine. Though when I boot the light doesn't come on on post test.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: HP DVD 1060r SATA multi drive, Win 7 will not install drivers now

Try a new SATA port and/or cable. They can go bad without notice.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I swapped out the SATA cable with a new one, plugged it into a different spot on the MB, same result. Windows found new device but could not install the drivers. Guess my optical drive is dead. The power light dos not light up when the cmos does its post test either, so I have to says its done. I guess Ill but a new one.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Did you try a different power cord in it? But, yes, other than that, I'd say it's toasted.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Did not try a diff power cord. Ill try that, but It has power, when I push button to open the green light comes on, disk spins.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Sometimes they break if you look at them to hard

I would pull the cover off of it and blow it out with compressed air. It will either work or it won't. Luckily you can get a new one pretty cheap.
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners