HP DV9000 won't start, tried everything!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodybloke

Beta member
I have a HP DV6000 series laptop, (6910ea to be exact) about 3 years old & never had a problem until now.

It won't switch on!
I know it's not the battery or adaptor, as I have tried different ones of each.

It's the old story of when I plug it in, the round blue light where the power plugs in stays on, then when you press power, all the indicator lights flash for a second then go off.

Things I've tried:-

Switched the ram sticks around, & tried each of them on their own in both slots. - When I did this, things changed slightly, as in the laptop started up, fan sounds like it's running, indicator lights stayed on, but that was it.

I then switched the sticks around again, this time it switched on again the same as before, but I then got 4 short beeps & the power indicator flashing continuously, then nothing else.

Since changing the sticks around again, I am back to where I started, indicator lights flashing for a second, then power off.

I also replaced the CMOS battery, but nothing changed from this.

I have also tried all the other suggestions & things I've read all over the net regarding hold the power button for 30 seconds, with / without the battery etc.. Pressing F1, F2, F8, F10 etc.. on startup, holding delete + power repeatedly, ctr-alt-del etc...

Kind of lost for ideas right now. I don't really fancy doing hints like the 'wrap it in a towel' type stuff, but seem to have run out of ideas!

Does anyone know of tests I can perform to see if my motherboard needs replacing? Surely there must be certain tests to run??

Please help Folks, please.
I'm in the process of starting up a DJ business & without my laptop & all the music & software on it, I'm really lost!!

I would try different memory. But it sounds like a possible motherboard problem.

You can't run any tests if it won't start and post.

The DV6000 and 9000 series are some of the worst from HP, they used a REALLY REALLY thick rubber pad between the CPU and heatsink, noticed it on a friends laptop before it failed due to overheating and placed a penny there with a gob of thermal paste, lowered the temp by 25C o.0

Thanks for your replies Folks.
I guess it's worth trying some new memory in first before looking at motherboard solutions.

c0rr0sive - I presume there'd be no point in me trying the penny trick now, since it won't even start, would there?

Any other suggestions of things that i can try to ascertain what's wrong?

If it turns out that i do need a new motherboard, would it be as simple as buying one myself, transferring my RAM, HDD etc.. & hey presto?
Or would i have to buy one 'complete'?

Thanks again.

Check around on Ebay for a good seller that has a working DV9000, remember it MUST be the EXACT same model as yours, and grab it, once you grab it, one, make sure it works, two, check the CPU heatsink and see if they used 3 layers of that foam padding, if they did, try to find a piece of copper the same thickness of a penny, and throw it in with some thermal paste on both sides. Then, if your shell is in better condition swap the board to yours, or your parts to it.

Just note, not ALL the DV6000/9000 laptops have that large gap and using a penny can crack the core due to the groves in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom