HP Computer won't boot - bad HDD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to GLaDOS
Question HP Computer won't boot - bad HDD?

Hello all,

My neighbor's HP computer will no longer boot. When you power on the machine, it gives you the HP splash screen and their diagnostic options, boot menu, setup options, etc. but then when it tries to boot the OS, nothing happens, it's just a black screen.

I suspect this is a hard drive issue and I've tried swapping out several hard drives (my plan was to put to a working HDD and try to use my neighbor's HDD as a secondary HDD that I could just pull their files off of), but all of the ones I had were broken to begin with and gave me all sorts of error messages when I tried to boot to those (i.e. BSOD, can't read HDD, etc.)

Is there any tool I can use to try and repair the original HDD and get it to boot to the OS. I've heard SpinRite mentioned several times but don't have any first-hand experience with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that the Weighted Companion Cube cannot talk. In the event that it does talk The Enrichment Centre asks you to ignore its advice.
GLaDOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: HP Computer won't boot - bad HDD?

Have you tried to setup one of your hard drives without the neighbors hard drive hooked up at all?
That hard drive may be causing errors and not letting your hard drive install properly.
Here is a link that may help you out.
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

sPlAtOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: HP Computer won't boot - bad HDD?

Are these SATA or IDE drives? I see this is an old post and the problem may have been resolved.
Kingdom_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote