Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisskerven

In Runtime
Long story broken into points.
Old computers HDD
Cousins old HP case/mobo/cpu/RAM/Cdrom

Using onboard video for the time being.

Ok now.. IN my old case/setup the HDD runs fine, in fact I was on it last night. I put the HDD into the HP however and it will not read... I've tried jumper settings and the like and nothing.. I don't see a "bios" setup for it.. just a blue HP splash screen.

Someone throw some Ideas at me.. I would like to finish this up, shower, and go to a friends house by 11 tonight my time, so I can celebrate fully.

Iam currently using my XP cd to reinstall windows directory (non format- replace windows only) hoping maybe it was something corrupt... 50% complete...as of writing this

its IDE and i used the one it came with- and the one i had attached in my older computer (the one i know works) and nothing...

another thing:
When I leave it to boot- or select "boot from c:" it goes to a black screen, cursor blinkin in top left.. but nothing more.

PXE-E61 Media failure.. I have no idea what that means..

and as for jumpers/cable I set to all 4 jumper settings one at a time, booted (or tried) and nothing... even with no jumper in....

Iam pretty sure its not the drive... I mean.. I can test like 4 other HDD and get the same results

When I put a HDD with no OS on it says "A disk read error occurded, press ctrl+alt+del to restart" so its finding HDDs.. just not.. booting.

hows that going to help, i had to salvage the PSU from my older one to put into this HP, so I have 1 PSU, 1 Video card to go between 2 computers, and since it has no Floppy, unless I can run a test from USB drive it won't help...

Iam installing windows xp on a HDD that didn't have an OS... hoping for the best.

I know this HDD fails its test though, S.M.A.R.T. fails on it, but it does function as a storage drive (for now- what ive been using it for) i had a 13GB one running the OS and this one for storage on my old computer and it was working ok- Iam tryin to test if its my Video or my HDD or my Mobo though causing game crashes, hince why Iam on here.

This is an Intel.. my old was an AMD.. but I don't think that's causing it.

Oddly enough i put an old 3GB HDD in with windows ME and it boots... and started scan disk on itself.... WTF ... grr.....

maybe it has a problem reading NTFS?

if thats the case.. it should be a bios update.. correct? *begins looking for HP bios*

****EDIT****
Happy New year and all that.. didn't get it done like I hoped.. but oh well... now to find out more. Couldn't find a bios update.. HP site is horribly made and alll the Serial numbers and codes I found on the machine led to nothing. So Iam going to take my original OS drive.. save any info on it with my old rig (taking apart the new computer for parts) then put the new computer back together, install Windows XP again- but this time formatting in fat32 (since ME boots up fine on a 3GB HDD but my 13GB Hdd in NTFS won't boot) and see if that works... see ya in like.. an hour or 2.

Looking at the IDE cable from the HP- it has a small very precise cut in it, i can see copper wiring inside.. but I don't know if this is supposed to be there (some manufacturers thing) or if its really damaged.... its the 14th cable on non-color edge side..about 1/4 inch from the blue connector side (to Motherboard). I'll be using some old IDE's for now..

oddly enough it wont let me edit my own post ><

Formatted into FAT and it seems to load fine. - still installing though.. the drive seems slow ><

Ok.. boots up and all that.. but now I need help..

I have a second, larger HDD I wanted to use, as a storage, but its in NTFS format- also - i cannot really backup the info- no space for it, and no CDs left.

So I really would like to know how I can get this HP to read NTFS drives..

I had a 40GB laptop drive that had bad sectors on it. My PC only showed it as 8GB, but it was an old PC that didn't support >8GB in BIOS. Once Windows 98 kicked in, it worked, but the drive had to be partitioned for Windows to work because of the bad sectors. The bad area was a storage partition, which made a nice FTP server out of a Pentium 133 PC I got for free.

Then it died. All the files were lost and the hard drive refused to power up.

I'd beware using damaged drives if I were you, luckily I had backups of my FTP (which now has a lame 5GB drive).

Eh i have most if not all the data backed up on Jumpdrives and an old CD (everything that I want that is) Iam just trying to get a stable computer running for some game purposes since my old rig finally is gettin to the point of where I can't do anything= literally boot up- load a game- 5 minutes crash. Tryin to test if its HDD, Video, MOBO, PSU or AotA, sadly my PSU cannot handle this mobo AND a video- so Iam using integrated vid, but it does support 4 sticks of RAM- my old only supported 3. (and I had a 256MB layin around) also this proccessor is 2.53GHz, my old was 1.35Ghz, and I have a 3.0GHz chip for this mobo layin around to put in when I upgrade the micro structure to support it. Plus this computer has USB 2.0 Drives.. so its like a Half Upgrade... without being a complete loss. 94MB onboard video isn't THAT bad.. won't play any High End games.. but then again I don't play super high end games right now...(But when your computer crashes playing CS 1.6 or Sims2 you know something is wrong!)

I still can't get it to read NTFS drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom