How to use SSD/HDD Combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahlia13

Solid State Member
I apologise if this is already mentioned somewhere- I am doing my best to search forums and the web for answers to my questions but, as I am not so acquainted with working with important parts of my computer such as BIOS and drives/partitions and such, some wording and terms get a bit confusing to me... I am glad I have even gotten this far, thanks to you all. :)

I am currently confused on how SSD/HDD works? I am going to be setting all this up and installing my OS tomorrow so I figured it best to ask before I just dive in... So far I know I need to keep my HDD unhooked as I install my OS to my SSD. I am not completely sure how to use BIOS, but from what I am reading I believe I am to set it up so that my optical drive with the OS disk boots up first and then the SSD? Or is it the other way around?

Afterwards, I will need to install CS5 and Office to my SSD, so would I continue to leave my HDD unhooked from my motherboard as I install those and any other programs? Should I follow this tutorial after these steps or before I install CS5, etc: http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/redirecting-program-files-program-files-x86-vista-win7-245289/ Afterwards, if I want to install games or future programs, will it automatically install on my SDD or will I simply be able to choose which drive it installs to?

Also, a really newbie question- I have a bad habit of saving files on my desktop...from reading threads about SSD/HDD config, the files on your desktop eat up the memory in your SSD? Where should I keep my files so that it is not doing that? Do I just make a folder (or use My Documents or something) somewhere on the drive I create for my HDD and save all my files there? If anyone knows of a guide that explains SSD/HDD and BIOS in simple terms please, please link me to it!

Thank you all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom