How to Reset Your CMOS - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN
Post How to Reset Your CMOS

There are 2 ways you can reset your bios.

1. On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete

2. Some motherboards have a 3 pin jumper by the battery. Lets say that the jumper is on pins 2 and 3. Remove the jumper while the machine is OFF and place onto pins 1 and 2. Power on your machine for a minute. (Note: Your system will not POST). Shutdown your machine and put the jumper back to pins 2 and 3. Your reset is now complete

This is a great troubleshooting step for those of you having POST issues or no POSTing at all. Like other troubleshooting steps, this will not always work but usually will depending on the problem.

I am not responsible for any damage that my advice may cause. Use this information at your own risk.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 01-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

hmmm i see i'm not the only one whos sick of answering how to reset CMOS. could a mod please sticky this.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

nitestick...
I believe they are presently working on articles like this so posters can read them before making 'Redundant' posts.
Of course as we know...... a lot of new posters won't read them.
Shawn.... step#2.
MY MANUAL says: "Do not power-on with the jumper in the 'clear position', you may damage the board." Since the battery is the power source for the Cmos/Bios..... there is no need for main power to be on......... @ MSI
Old 01-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Quote:
Originally posted by JKnPA
Shawn.... step#2.
MY MANUAL says: "Do not power-on with the jumper in the 'clear position', you may damage the board." Since the battery is the power source for the Cmos/Bios..... there is no need for main power to be on......... @ MSI
That is interesting because I do it all the time and it usually works however I have never damaged a board before.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 01-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

same here, in fact, I thought you had to turn it on for a second to allow it to clear...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

I know someone already mentioned it. but Its resetting the CMOS not BIOS...

Lol.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

You dont have to power on your machine, all i do is move from 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 seconds then move it back to 1-2 and CMOS is clear but my computer boots up even if i set my CPU at 4.0Ghz it just wont past the verifying DMI pool data and backup the cmos
Old 01-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

What about setting the bios back to default by selecting "Set to default?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

PZ.....
Thank you.........
Shawn.....
Just because you didn't kill your 'mobo', doesn't mean the process is correct; you may have damaged ICs within the CMOS that you don't know about....... yet!
The normal jumper positions are 1-2, not 2- 3.
* MSI probably just put that 'Warning" in their manuals
just to scare everybody......... FWIW....
Ste.... You are 'clearing the CMOS and 'resetting the BIOS'

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/clear_CMOS.html
Old 01-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

The CMOS is special memory where your BIOS settings are stored. The CMOS battery is a back-up power source when the PC is turned off. Removing this battery when the PC is off, results in the clearing of settings in this special memory (CMOS). Those settings will reverted back to default.

The reason you remove the battery for a extended period of time is due to the Motherboard & CMOS's ability to retain a charge. By waiting a period of time (10 seconds to whatever) you ensure that all electrical charges will be dissipated. Then the CMOS will no longer retain your saved settings - BIOS reverting back to default. The CMOS Clear Jumper is basically a CMOS battery Bypass. Change the PINS and the battery no longer powers the CMOS. The waiting period still applies.

"The only time you want to use "CMOS Battery removal or CMOS Clear" is when you have made changes to your BIOS's settings and are unable to boot or re-access your BIOS." i.e (Overclocking or incorrect settings)."

Closed Thread