How to Repair I/O Magic 320GB External Harddrive Ticking Sound Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulRaiderX

Baseband Member
So I got an external harddrive that's 320GB. My dog knocked it over and now it keeps making a ticking sound. The warranty is void so I might have to manually repair it.

This is the harddrive:
http://www.iomagic.com/Products/show_all_results.asp?ProdID=I320HD35

It turns on fine, but it keeps making a strange ticking sound. It isn't getting detected by the PC. I fear a component may have fallen out of place.

Can someone walk me through how to manually repair this problem? Also, some precautions I should take? I've never done this before.

I don't know, go to school for 8 years for engineering, embedded electronics, and micromechanics. That oughta do it. :rolleyes:

SoulRaiderX said:
Or maybe you could post something useful, which should require minimum education.

You want to know how to repair harddrives? Do what I said, or throw it away and buy a new one. Those are your options, you didn't ask for good deals, you asked how to repair it, so I told you.

This is coming from someone with multiple certifications in computer hardware and software... So either listen, or don't. But don't get all shitty with me when I give you the answer to your question.

You can't fix a hard drive, sorry.

Inside is a very very delicate and precise process. You can't just grab a screwdriver and a beer and go at it, it's much more complicated than that. If even the slightest spec of dirt hits the platters on the inside, there will be corrupted data and possibly other damage like a screwed up head.

Most likely what has happened is the head has bent or broken, so it hits part of the drive.

Put it in your freezer for a few hours and then quickly hook it up to the PC and see if it recognizes it. If it does, quickly drag all of the info you want to save off the drive, then buy a new one.

By the way, just for the record. Every story I've heard of someone taking the cover off a drive and putting it back together has resulted in total drive failure. Tons of people have tried to add a window to their drive, all of which (that I've read) ended up with a paperweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom