How to recover corrupted MFT sector on NTFS partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw3le

Solid State Member
I had a problem with a corrupted Master File Table sector on one NTFS partition. The problem itself wouldn't be that big if the back up copy of that sector is good, but it is corrupted too, so I'm left with a bunch of unusable and unaccessable data on 20GB partition.

I've used Zero Assumption Recovery 8.3 to solve this problem, but all it does is recovering data from damaged partition and transfering it to another location. Ok, that helps a lot, but one thing is bothering me.

This program works like this: it scans partition multiple times to locate and identify all data it contains, then it re-creates complete directory structure and lists all files in order in wich they originaly were so the user can select which file he/she wants to recover.

So, my question is this: if this program has abillity to re-construct the entire directory structure in the way it existed moments before the partition failure, isn't it much simpler just to write that structure over damaged Master File Table sector and save a lot of time copying data and re-formating partition and later copying back all the data?

I've spend hours and hours looking for a solution that does that job, but I alway end up with no result. Is it even possible to do this thing?

It isnt that simple. The program cant just write it to the same place. Once that data is written over, it is then lost for good. So if you are in the process of writing to the drive and also reading from the drive, who is to say that part of the files wont get written to a spot where other files are?

The program may recreate the directory structure but it doesnt recreate each sector bit for bit. Which is the part that matters most. The directory structure can be written on the drive in any place on any sector. This will cause data to be lost and the information unable to be obtained ever again.

Which is why 99.9% of the decent recovery software tools out there force you to recover the data to a different location so that you dont over write the bits on each sector that you want to recover. Once you do, they are lost for good.

Hold there! I tought that directory and file structure is maintained in Master File Table, which is located on the first 6 sectors of the partition. Right??

On the other hand, I don't know much about hard disk structure and how it actually works, but isn't it possible to specify the exact sector in which I want to write data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom