How to put MemTest86 on Floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleachOperator

Baseband Member
I am having trouble putting this program on a floppy. I am not very familiar with ISO imaging and so forth, so i am pretty lost. If someone could give me step by step instructions that would be greatly appreciated. Also when i tried it myself I did a quick format on the floppy and it showed the file system as FAT but then when i tried to put memtest86 on it, it went back to RAW. I have no clue on stuff like this so please help me out.

first of the RAW is perfectly normal you shouldnt be able to browse it , anyway heres the howto

download the floppy version of memtest86+ 1.65 (the + is tweaked and have better hardware support,gets updated more often)
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.floppy.zip
extract it to some folder , put in a floppy disk and run install ,it will ask for the drive letter put a and press enter (do not put a: or a:\ that wont work well) anyway it will finish after a few moments , restart and get into the bios and set the boot order right (make the floppy first on the list) save & exit (skip the bios thing if the floppy drive led gets on for a second before windows loads,that means its alredy set like that) , then it will boot from it and memtest86+ will automatically start checking the ram and if you wanna stop it simply hit the *reset* button.. and get the disk out , let it make a few passes at least , if you got more then 1 stick of ram its best to test each one seperatly (lets say you got 2 , disconnect one of em then test the other when done reconnect the other and disconnect the one you alredy tested then test the other)

reasons for unstable ram
1) too tight timings (for example if the stock timings are 3-3-3-7 and you put it to 2.5-3-3-7) , also when using non identical sticks with diffrent stock timings you should find the *optimal* timings for both to work well together or set the timings to *optimal* if your bios supports it
2) too low/high voltage
3) overclocking (when overclocking the ram speed goes up too)
4) the motherboard (or more correctly the bios) dislikes that ram,sometimes updating the bios can fix it
5) its plain bad

edit fixed the link

okay i got it on the floppy and now when i go to boot off of floppy it says "non-system disk" replace and strike key when ready. I went into the bios and changed it to boot only off the floppy drive and still nothing. Help me please!

when you ran the install , did you put the drive letter as said? (a that is , as i alredy mentioned a: or a:\ wont work well)

So what files do i actually send to the Floppy (memtest.bin, rawrite.exe, install) i have been coping memtest.bin and rawrite to the floppy and double clicking on install after i copied those files. And yeah i extracted the whold zip folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom