HOW TO: Measuring PSU Rails

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you jumper (short) the green wire and a black wire, are you effectively bypassing and "turning the power switch on"?

If so, does that mean the green wire connects to the PSU power switch?

So, if I have the PSU "out of the computer" and "all PSU wires disconnected from everything" and I short (jumper) the green wire and a black wire in the 20 pin mobo connector, the PSU should come on unless it's dead....correct?

If true, this should be a simple test to determine if the PSU is dead or not. Advise me if I'm wrong please.

Burnselk said:
When you jumper (short) the green wire and a black wire, are you effectively bypassing and "turning the power switch on"?

If so, does that mean the green wire connects to the PSU power switch?

So, if I have the PSU "out of the computer" and "all PSU wires disconnected from everything" and I short (jumper) the green wire and a black wire in the 20 pin mobo connector, the PSU should come on unless it's dead....correct?

If true, this should be a simple test to determine if the PSU is dead or not. Advise me if I'm wrong please.

Sorry, I didn't see this post. :(

Yes, if you jump the PSU via the green and black wires, it will turn on (provided that the ON/OFF switch is set to ON on the PSU, and that power is plugged in) so you can test the PSU.

However, having it simply run and then having it run under load are two different things. It might work on it's own, but maybe not with a load.

There is no separate switch on the PSU in my case....and I had it plugged into 120 AC.

Nothing at all....no fan, nothing. So, I would say the PSU is my problem.

Thanks Guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom