How to make format without losing data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUninvited

Baseband Member
One of my friends pc cannot open only i can see the black screen and then restarts.I cannot even go to safe mode only i can make a format but im a fraid of losing the files because the files is important to me.

Is there a way to make a format without losing the files;I only got 1 hard drive...

Please i really need it. I'm hurry to get in answer in 2 hours maximum.

if you know please reply I would be very grateful really.!

if you install windows 7 through the disk it will see you have another copy and ask if you want to save your data. Select yes and it will do it for you.

Also reinstalling windows doesnt NEED to format your drive. you can install one version of windows over another (provided they are the same partition type, ntfs for example) without losing data, it would just install over the OS files.

You can also shrink a partition size using windows 7 (not sure about through the installation disc though) without losing data.

however if you feel you need to wipe the entire drive then no :p is the answer to your question

its a mistake to call re installing windows to format as format by definition will loose all your data, but as sheepykins say you can re install win with no format, it will have a folder in your c drive called "windows.old"
now what i would do in your case is plug the HDD wich uses a regular sata connection probably if a new-ish laptop and just copy all files in the user folder and do a compleet clean install just so i dont worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom