How to install and use an unsupported CPU in Motherboard

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, I'm getting a Gateway GT5040 which has a motherboard that has a LGA775 socket, and the motherboard supports all Intel Pentium 4, Celeron, and Pentium D processors. My question is, I want to get an Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad to put in this motherboard.... Will this work?

The LGA775 socket in the GT5040 supports that processor. Installing it will require using anti-static wristband, phillips head screwdriver, thermal paste, and a bag to dispose of the old Processor. I am not intimately familiar with GT5040's stock motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it conforms to the modular design of other gateways and the stock heatsink that comes with the Core 2 Quad processor will screw into the Mother board correctly.

The voltage is within acceptable range.

Why do you want to change the processor?

Okay, follow this link 4006106R 105693 | Gateway GT5040 GM5091H Motherboard

It tells me that it can't support the Core 2 Quad, but it CAN support the Pentium 4, D, and Celeron processors.... The reason I want to upgrade is because I'm installing an AMD Radeon 7750 single slot GPU in the 2.0 x 16 slot on the mobo.... I've read about guys getting away with installing unsupported CPUs in the motherboard, but have to update the bios..... Will this work for me too?

I've read about guys getting away with installing unsupported CPUs in the motherboard, but have to update the bios..... Will this work for me too?

Do your homework, go back online and research the current motherboard you have.
You need to do then look for a updated bios by gateway.com.
Do not use third party unofficial bios support, you will risk damaging your parts if you are not tech knowlegable about bios configurations and setups.

If you are dead set on a core2duo, chuck that gateway btx motherboard to the sidelines and try this.
Intel 945G s 775 1066FSB Core 2 Duo Vid LAN Motherboard | eBay

Either that or get a standard atx motherboard and build a lga 1156 core i3 build or higher depending on budget limits. :)

If it's unsupported then it's pretty much unsupported. I've heard of folks installing unsupported CPUs but they had tricks of doing so like removing a pin or two, shorting two pins together with a wire and such. Maybe even replacing the rectifiers to higher current ones.

Also there's where a CPU draws too much current and burned up the rectifiers on the board. I know, I did that with an AMD 350 on a socket 7 board and it wasn't supported but it fit. It was made for MMXs, no more.

Back
Top Bottom