How to install those 5 pins for a card reader?

risingvendetta

Solid State Member
Hi!

I have an AFT card reader that has those thin plastic things with 5 wires in them. My MOBO didn't have enought usb pins so I was using a PC|I usb card that had them.

Problem is the pci card seem to not work anymore. So, I bought this converter. It converts the usb pins to a plain ol usb. I can just get a reg. usb card and make it go out the back.

The thing is I know i have to reset the wire and not sure how. The converter list each pin as follows:
3.3v
rst
txd
rxd
gnd
5v

And the wires are these five:
red
green
white
black
and another black but thicker.

How should I resent the wires?

thanks!

These should help you out.

patillaje_conector_usb.jpg

usb-pinout-from-ru-howto.jpg

just to piggyback on what PP said, I believe that the rxd and txd are transmit and receive data, so they corrospond with the D- and D+. The red will be your 5.5v. Black's are generally only used for grounds. I think you'll be able to get away with plugging in just those 4; the 5.5v, D-, D+ and ground.

hmm... Thanks for the quick responses. But I am still a tad lost.

Ground would be the black wire.... Which one? There's two, one the same size as the rest and one larger.

red is 5V but which should white and green be? I don't want to reverse them.

thaNKS.

Ground is ground, just use one of them and it'll be ok.

White should be transmit TXD
Green should be receive. RXD

If it doesn't work just reverse them. The ones you don't want to mess up is voltage. The data cables if they aren't right you can just correct it easily but switching them.

Ground is ground, just use one of them and it'll be ok.

White should be transmit TXD
Green should be receive. RXD

If it doesn't work just reverse them. The ones you don't want to mess up is voltage. The data cables if they aren't right you can just correct it easily but switching them.

Right on, the only thing that will happen with the data ones if you reverse them is it won't work and you'll know you messed something up and just flip them.

Right on, the only thing that will happen with the data ones if you reverse them is it won't work and you'll know you messed something up and just flip them.
I learned my lesson with wiring USB wrong the hard way when I was young. Made a loud popping sound and smoke started coming out. It was the front USB on my moms new case and I got yelled at for a while lol.

There's no smoke lol.

But card reader is still not working. Their is no more rear USBs so I plug both to the front USBs ports. The card reader is an AFT, which has a blue indicator light. It flashed for a second and then stoped? Got this error message:

"USB to UART Bridge///" something about driver error. So I downloaded what I think is the right thing from silabs.

Under CP/hadware and sound/device and printer/ I get two things that says silicon labs com3 and another saying com4 after installing.

but still not working. I also downloaded the drivers. It might be just the fact that I'm trying to use front usbs. But I dunno after a year this and aother AFT card reader stopped working right.

I mean they both have that constant strong blue light, i dunno, maybe it shorted or something. But I had to use linux to repair windows7 loader and I on the live cd linux shows ALL the different slots for the card reader. so it should work.

Back
Top Bottom