How individual core restarts in multicore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to get re-acquainted with the new or upcoming android lineups.
Samsung is in the same boat for adding in a quacore on their phones.
Amazing of what little devices are packing in behind those singled frame main board circuitry.

Hai,

In multicore Processors we have different cores.. I have read that we make one core as master and other cores as slaves.. so, when an error occurs in a process executing on slave core , Did all the cores (including master core) will restart or the slave core in which the error occurs only gets restarted.. If only the slave core gets restarted, could you please explain me how it happens..?

Uh I think I will request this be turned into a thread. But it's a logical question just ask in this section but make a thread of your own don't piggy back on someone elses ;)

Hai,

In multicore Processors we have different cores.. I have read that we make one core as master and other cores as slaves.. so, when an error occurs in a process executing on slave core , Did all the cores (including master core) will restart or the slave core in which the error occurs only gets restarted.. If only the slave core gets restarted, could you please explain me how it happens..?

Not sure if troll...

I think you're getting the whole Master/Slave thing confused with IDE/SATA. If an error occurs in any active core on a CPU, it's not going to restart. The system is more than likely going to crash.

Not sure if troll...

I think you're getting the whole Master/Slave thing confused with IDE/SATA. If an error occurs in any active core on a CPU, it's not going to restart. The system is more than likely going to crash.

Depends entirely on the error, and on the software that is being used. If the software has proper exception/error handling, then it will cache the errors, and dispose of them properly (the most common method of exception handling is to just dispose of the memory and start over).

Errors generally wont happen within the processor memory/cache or the cores, but they will generally happen in main memory. CPU memory is so small it's only used for small transactions. If a mathematical operation is performed wrong, then it will be passed into main memory and into the program; if a wrong answer is not handled, an exception is usually raised, and if there is no exception handling, then the program will generally crash, and the memory will either be freed by the OS, or it will be "stuck" and be considered garbage, and unusable.

Like the others said, cores don't necessarily restart, but they can go idle. They wouldn't restart (to my knowledge, anyway.. you can maybe find some more information deeper in some of the specific CPU architecture documentation).

If some sort of unrecoverable error were to occur on a core, then yes, there's a possibility that the system would restart.

An example of this sort of thing would be in this document; it's an example of how Intel Itanium CPU's work (error handling stuff starts on page 10 and page 11):
http://www.intel.la/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/itanium-error-handling-guide.pdf

Depends entirely on the error, and on the software that is being used. If the software has proper exception/error handling, then it will cache the errors, and dispose of them properly (the most common method of exception handling is to just dispose of the memory and start over).

Errors generally wont happen within the processor memory/cache or the cores, but they will generally happen in main memory. CPU memory is so small it's only used for small transactions. If a mathematical operation is performed wrong, then it will be passed into main memory and into the program; if a wrong answer is not handled, an exception is usually raised, and if there is no exception handling, then the program will generally crash, and the memory will either be freed by the OS, or it will be "stuck" and be considered garbage, and unusable.

Like the others said, cores don't necessarily restart, but they can go idle. They wouldn't restart (to my knowledge, anyway.. you can maybe find some more information deeper in some of the specific CPU architecture documentation).

If some sort of unrecoverable error were to occur on a core, then yes, there's a possibility that the system would restart.

An example of this sort of thing would be in this document; it's an example of how Intel Itanium CPU's work (error handling stuff starts on page 10 and page 11):
http://www.intel.la/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/itanium-error-handling-guide.pdf

I know that, but I was just generalizing it. Let's just end this thread once and for all. Cores USUALLY don't "restart." If there is an error, the system will either handle it and you'll probably never notice, or the system will crash.

I know that, but I was just generalizing it. Let's just end this thread once and for all. Cores USUALLY don't "restart." If there is an error, the system will either handle it and you'll probably never notice, or the system will crash.

Yeah, sorry, that whole post wasn't meant toward you, more for the OP. Was just quoting for the last part of your post; should have mentioned that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom