How to increase productivity with Bandwidth - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 07-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie
Default How to increase productivity with Bandwidth

I'm trying to figure out to how separate VoIP and Data from my networks.
I am looking to introduce a voip pbx into a small business network. There are approximately 15 workstation computers and 1 server. We would be adding 7 voip phones. From what I have been told, it is the best to physically separate the data from the voip networks to ensure great voice quality. The only problem is that we do not want to add two modems.
My question: Is there a way to physically separate the networks and still only use one modem/router? If doing this will that defeat the point of separating the two networks? Or would it be the same and just implement Qos on the network?
There is actually 2 routers with 1 modem. The second router is from another company that is renting space from the office im at leching on my bandwidth. So i want to separate the Voip from Data so my calls dont keep dropping.
I am trying to ensure the best audio quality for voip phones while keeping only 1 modem and 2 routers.

Thank you for any help/ suggestions

JayRuiz562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: How to increase productivity with Bandwidth

You don't need to physically separate the networks - just put them on separate VLANs. The only thing with using VLANs is that you'll need network gear that has VLAN support. If you've got everything going into a consumer router like a D-Link or something then you might be able to find custom firmware that will give you VLAN capability; the typical home router won't have stock firmware that supports VLANs.

DistraughtSysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: How to increase productivity with Bandwidth

If your calls are dropping odds have it your external bandwidth isn't enough to handle the load of the company.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

data, voip