HOw to format computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamepsyched

Beta member
I need to no how to get into formatting comp .. i no how to format just dont no where to go to get into formatting mode can i have help :D

bassicly go into your bios and set your comp to boot from the cd drive first,, then pop your xp disc (assuming thats what your using) into the drive and restart the comp,, when it prompts hit any key to go into the boot secting of the disc,, then theres a few menus , i think you need to go to setup xp,, then delete the partition and recreate it, then you can format it,,,

BIOS = Basic Input/Output System. I'm not going to vividly explain it...google it if you want to. What IrishNinjaX is referring to is right when you start your computer, hold DEL (sometimes F1, F2, or other - see your motherboard manual for details) to enter the BIOS setup. You can do a lot of stuff in here, but all you want to do is make your CD-ROM your first boot Priority. If memory serves me right, it's in "Advanced BIOS Options" (or something to that effect).

Now, you can format with a floppy diskette too. Go to www.bootdisk.com and download a boot utility and then put it on a floppy disk and boot off it.

You should get an MS-DOS screen where you can type commands, you'd type FORMAT C: (where C: is the drive letter that you want to format). You can also type FDISK and create/delete partitions. I believe you can only make FAT32 partitions this way, so it's better/easier to just boot off the WINXP cd like IrishNinjaX said.

Although at this point, I am inclined to recommend that you take your computer to a professional to format... or have one of your friends who knows more about computers to come help you and teach you. It is very difficult for us - who cannot see over your shoulder - to help you with this.

Oh god,, right im agreeing with penfold,,if you dont know what a bios is then your probably not gonna be able to format unless some1 is giving you a step by step guide whose there with you :S :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom