How do you know if you fired your motherboard?

Jake

In Runtime
So I tried upgrading my old evga x58 with a Xeon X5675 processor and a Samsung 950 Pro with the adapter. First try gave the "FF" post code with no post. I reset the CMOS and reseated everything- the same- so I replaced the CPU with the old Intel and the old SSD- but still the same "FF". I've been using this mobo fine for 7 years.

I think the new processor is the culprit and it might have shorted something. But the fans and PSU power up fine. Any ideas on what I can try next or will I need a new mobo?

I got the Xeon CPU from ebay, so I guess it's the culprit. It must have damaged the mobo circuitry, which would explain why the other older CPU wouldn't work...Kind of a bummer- was hoping for an easy upgrade and now I have no motherboard and probably two worthless CPUs..

How do you know if you fired your motherboard?

1. Your motherboard stops working.

2. Your motherboard makes annoying beeps.

3. Your motherboard files a complaint with the EFF.

4. Your motherboard storms out of your house.

5. Your motherboard gives you the "FF" error- "Fatally ****ed".

I'm going to assume you tried a cmos clear.

What does the bottom of that Xeon CPU from Ebay look like? Also which adapter did you get for the 950pro?

I was using the Lycom DT-120 adapter. I don't think that could cause motherboard problems could it? There was nothing odd looking about the Xeon CPU.

Back
Top Bottom