How do i turn a RAW HDD into a readable one without losing data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
My friend's old HDD has all his data n he upgraded to Windows 7. His HDD is corrupted n we used Chkdsk to fix it. Now it is in RAW format. I have GParted live CD n know how to use it. Question is, how do i get the HDD to be readable again without formatting or deleting his data? I want him to be able to have access to his HDD again.

another question, before his HDD went RAW, he was asked administrative rights to do anything with his old HDD that use to have Vista Ultimate on it. How can i bypass this easily without having to actually go in a different route n give the rights to every single file or folder one by one?

Best I could say is "recover" the data using recovery software of some kind, then formatting it in an external case . If not that, you might be able to try and make an image (ISO or Norton Ghost) of it... then try to get the data that way?

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

Try Recuva. There is no way to turn a drive from RAW into something usable. There are some methods out there to try and get Windows to recognize RAW format. but it still may not work for you.

format it into NTFS and then use recovery software will be your best bet.

ya see that is the thing, format. Once i format it to NTFS, all the stuff is gone. Can i use GParted Live CD to format it to NTFS and then use that Recuva to recover it is what ur saying? Is there any other way for me to get the files off the HDD? Should i do Chkdsk again?

A quick format, mind you - a full one will cause a lot more data loss, I believe.

would i do that through Windows 7 itself when i boot up the disc? Plz, i need the easiest n safest way.

A quick format, mind you - a full one will cause a lot more data loss, I believe.
No. Quick is never the way. A full format will ensure that there is no bad sectors while a quick will not.
ya see that is the thing, format. Once i format it to NTFS, all the stuff is gone. Can i use GParted Live CD to format it to NTFS and then use that Recuva to recover it is what ur saying? Is there any other way for me to get the files off the HDD? Should i do Chkdsk again?

would i do that through Windows 7 itself when i boot up the disc? Plz, i need the easiest n safest way.

Please read my post again. I already said it CANT be done the way you want. Since when is a format going to lose data forever? Isnt that what recovery software is for? Using chkdsk is not going to do anything for you. It will not get the drive back into a usable format. Only a format will get it into a usable format.

No it will not work if you use the boot disk, no it will not work by running chkdsk. It will not work at all. You must format first. This is not the first time i have guided people through this process, this is not the first time i have come across this issue. Everytime it is the same thing.

Format and then recover. I already said there is a slight chance to get the RAW partition recognized with Windows. But that does not mean a single thing. That doesnt mean you can transfer that data off of there onto a usable drive. It just means it can be read.

In case your wondering, you have to format! Recuva is just one of many programs that can help recover the data.

No. Quick is never the way. A full format will ensure that there is no bad sectors while a quick will not.

Please read my post again. I already said it CANT be done the way you want. Since when is a format going to lose data forever? Isnt that what recovery software is for? Using chkdsk is not going to do anything for you. It will not get the drive back into a usable format. Only a format will get it into a usable format.

No it will not work if you use the boot disk, no it will not work by running chkdsk. It will not work at all. You must format first. This is not the first time i have guided people through this process, this is not the first time i have come across this issue. Everytime it is the same thing.

Format and then recover. I already said there is a slight chance to get the RAW partition recognized with Windows. But that does not mean a single thing. That doesnt mean you can transfer that data off of there onto a usable drive. It just means it can be read.

In case your wondering, you have to format! Recuva is just one of many programs that can help recover the data.

kk :S. Yes sir! Easy Mak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom