How do I speed up my hard drive in Windows XP? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default How do I speed up my hard drive in Windows XP?

Hi, I'm sure I saw a bar in Windows XP somewhere where you could adjust the speed of a hard drive to control noise. The problem is that I can't find it anymore and I remember that my secondary hard drive is set the to slowest speed (it was default for some reason). I'd greatly appreciate it if any of you could tell me where it is. Thank you!

Old 10-19-2005, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

google it. i'm not sure if it's actually part of windows or something 3rd party.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste

Never heard of it Ever anywhere, I don't think you can adjust the speed of your harddrive and if you can this is the first time Id ever hear about it. I also don't think you can adjust the speed from the OS if you could anyways.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Are you sure it wasn't for a FAN? There are programs that have that exact description, except for a fan. And I've never heard or seen anything in Windows XP about slowing down a hard drive like that.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

You can't adjust the speed of the HD from windows. Hard drive speed is a voltage/amperage specific fixed hardware protocol and defined by the hd's board. If you could mess with it then the out come would be this: a new drive. Hard drives cannot be "oc'd".
Forget about it. There have been over spin viruses in the past. I'm not sure how they worked but they caused HD over spins and instant failure!!!
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

lol, It was a couple of months ago so I wasn't sure. I guess it was for fans hehe.

Closed Thread