How Do I Solder Ram in My Laptop? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: How Do I Solder Ram in My Laptop?

Jeeze Those start at 1500 usd and only come in 2 memory configurations, 8 or 16. 8 really should do you just fine.
But if you really think you need more you might ask them if they will give you credit for your current laptop and let you upgrade to the 16 gig version. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Besides you doing what you have in mind will certainly blow any warranty.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

I believe they are providing alternative advice on how to get additional performance out of a computer, without potentially bricking the device.

Frosty is a Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Not feasible... Aside from the actual chips, you would need to locate the SPD chip and replace it so that you have the proper information for the memory chips... That aside, I highly assume its DDR3/4 which will require a GOOD reflow station as they use BGA. It will cost you more in money to purchase a proper reflow station than it would to, ya know... Buy a laptop that will meet your needs.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

wow, i have never heard of such a thing. talk about limiting upgrades. you would think if they were going to go to such lengths, they would at least make certain that there would be enough ram to do ANYTHING that the system could ever do. i guess this is compared to " lifetime lubrication " in bearings. which to me means that the lifetime of the $30.00 bearing is over when the $0.06 of grease they install dries up. i will never be able to comprehend that kind of thinking. it would be like buying a Ferrari with no engine oil drain plug, or no oil fill hole.
XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
wow, i have never heard of such a thing. talk about limiting upgrades. you would think if they were going to go to such lengths, they would at least make certain that there would be enough ram to do ANYTHING that the system could ever do. i guess this is compared to " lifetime lubrication " in bearings. which to me means that the lifetime of the $30.00 bearing is over when the $0.06 of grease they install dries up. i will never be able to comprehend that kind of thinking. it would be like buying a Ferrari with no engine oil drain plug, or no oil fill hole.
Well for most things, 8GB is enough RAM for most everything. I believe there is also a 16GB configuration as well. But this is also marketed as a 'gaming laptop' - albeit a pretty low end gaming laptop IMO.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote