How Do I Partition an External HD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How Do I Partition an External HD?

I got an external hard drive with a backup image. I want to make a partition on it without formatting it and without erasing this backup image. How can I do this?

koolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: How Do I Partition an External HD?

GParted should do what you want

Follow the instructions here and post if you get stuck

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
GParted should do what you want

Follow the instructions here and post if you get stuck
But do you know if Windows 8.1 can do the same thing? Does it have a utility that can do that?
Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Disk Management is Window's built-in tool (just search "Disk Management" to launch it), I don't think it'll play nice for what you're trying to do though. If you right click on the hdd in question it'll have a "Shrink volume" option enabled if it's possible, otherwise you'll have to use Gparted or Partition Wizard
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

+1 to GParted.

Makes it way easy to manage partitions on disks. Yes it's an "extra" utility, but it's not like it costs money - it's a free LiveCD.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
+1 to GParted.
I went to the Gparted website and found that Gparted is 300MB and is a liveCD. Why is this such s big file? And why isn't this an easy to install .exe file?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolx View Post
I went to the Gparted website and found that Gparted is 300MB and is a liveCD. Why is this such s big file? And why isn't this an easy to install .exe file?
It's not an EXE because it's a Linux-based. It's an application that is run within a small, bootable, Linux environment. That's the reason it's also 300mb, because it has the Linux kernel + common hardware drivers, as well as the GParted application.

You can download the ISO and either: burn it to a CD, or create a bootable flash drive with something like UNetBootin.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you *really* don't want to do that, try Partition Wizard (I linked to it above). Other users have reported success using that tool, GParted is just the sure-fire way to get it done.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Just use disk management, as you have a external drive and want to do a simple partition...

And I can see you don't want a complicated process with live CDs etc
Creating and formatting a hard disk partition - Windows Help