How Do I Get Rid Of A "Phantom" CD-ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topherus

Baseband Member
When I go into My Computer, there is a drive letter assigned to a CD-ROM that doesn't exist. I went into Administrative Tools and into Disk Management, and the CD-ROM doesn't show up there. It doesn't appear under System in Control Panel.
I tried to eliminate it by running:
System Mechanic
Registry Mechanic
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Xoftspy
Norton Systemworks checkup

Nothing worked. I can't reassign the drive letter to "None" because the drive doesn't appear anywhere except in My Computer.

Any suggestions?

It could be you have cd emulation software installed which creates a virtual cd drive, such programs are daemon tools, alcohol, and you can get rid of the drives by uninstalling the program.

my guess is that youve installed something that has loaded a virtual drie into the system, programs like alcholhol120% do this, alot of cd/dvd copying software do now

Nero, Roxio, Alcohol......all cd/dvd r/rw programs use virtual CD's as stated above. Forget about it.....everything is good!

Sorta funny... I've got two phantom drives myself.

I bought my rig off of someone else. I guess he set it up that way... probably to play games without having the disk in the drive.

I'm running 4 daemon tools, 2 alcohol, and one PowerISO, along with the physical DVD and DVDR drived. Fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom