how do I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mason142

Beta member
I was messing around with my speakers and I accidentally knocked out the power cord on my comp. I plugged it back in and got an error message saying something about my CPU fan being dead and that it was going to shut down in 5 seconds.

My fan is FAR from dead since when I start it up it spins like a beast. I looked in the system info and saw that my computer was not reading the RPMs(is that the correct term?). Like I said before... it IS spinning, the comp just can't seem to read it.

I temporarily plugged in a new fan and it still had the same message. what do I do? I don't want to press F2 to run my comp everytime I turn it on.

Is your CPU fan connected to your motherboard?

Does your CPU fan have more that 2 wires coming out of it. Normally the 3rd wire is used for fan speed detection?

Go into your Bios and check whether or not your CPU fan is being monitored by the motherboard or not?
And whether or not there is a FAN WARNING for when the fan is not spinning at all.

This has been a problem with some of the new CPU / motherboard where the fan only spins when processor gets hot.
And when you have the motherboard that is suppose to be issuing a warning when the fan is not spinning. This problem does annoy some of my clients. Especially during winter time where I have seen the CPU Fail Fail Alarm stay active for about 45 seconds on a cold boot first thing in the morning.

I've been using this computer for 2 years without this error.

yes the fan is connected to motherboard. There are 3 wires. How do I get into the bios to check?

the fan spins regardless if cpu is hot or not.

Yanking the power cord while the system is up and running is dangerous, if it's a substandard PSU you could have fried something. What are your specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom