Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting (http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/)
-   -   how do I eliminate a virus? (http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/how-do-i-eliminate-virus-184608/)

miss.need.to.know 09-08-2008 02:24 AM

how do I eliminate a virus?

My laptop crashed just a few days ago. I couldn't get it to load windows. I had to call out a mobile technician who fixed the problem of my laptop not loading windows. But now every time i load windows it will crash after loading up my desktop. I rang the technician up for some support, but got a cold response that it would cost me over $250 to eliminate a virus after reloading windows and backing up my data. My question is how do i this and whats involved.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Baez 09-08-2008 02:33 AM

Re: how do I eliminate a virus?

It might not even be a virus. Have to determine what the problem is first before we can help you fix it. Need to know which version of Windows you're running too. First go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Go to the System portion and check for any errors around the time that it last crashed.

Also if a blue screen appears after it crashes, post what the screen says on here.

miss.need.to.know 09-08-2008 02:37 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I am unable to access my desktop, this is the moment it freezes and i have to manually switch the laptop off.

I am running windows xp home edition, service pack 2

sorry its the media center edition, version 2002

Baez 09-08-2008 02:43 AM

Okay and do you have the XP Media Center CD? You will need it to repair Windows.

miss.need.to.know 09-08-2008 02:48 AM

Just checked inside system portion and there are loads of errors, most being sourced from disk and DCOM

unfortunately i don't have the XP Media Center CD....

Baez 09-08-2008 02:51 AM

DCOM doesn't affect Windows crashing. When you open one of the disk errors what does it say? It should give a blue link as well that you can click on to see a more detailed description of what you can do to fix the problem.

miss.need.to.know 09-08-2008 03:34 AM

The error states: the service did not respond to the start or control in a timely fashion

KurrentEweser 09-08-2008 07:47 AM

Can you get into safe mode at all?

skylinegtrv98 09-08-2008 11:14 AM

Have you ever used System Restore?? If you know that you have restore points created on your computer, and you have a bootable disk, then you should be able to run a system restore to set your computer back to a previous state hopefully pre virus...

Etheral 09-08-2008 02:15 PM

I would say if you can get your hands on a Windows XP cd/dvd from a family or friend you would be able to run the Windows recovery console. If not possible see if you can get a hold of or create a boot up disk to at least get you started.

@skylinegtrv98: I have never used system restore from a boot disk. Could you provide us with more details as to how to do this?