How do I connect both the CD and HD on my new MOBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dead_nerd

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I just posted the keyboard/monitor/mouse not working thread, but now I have a new problem lol. Ok, I puchased the ASUS P5PL2 motherboard (along with a new processor, video card, and hard drive), and I am having trouble getting everything working correctly. The problem I am having is that there is only one slot for IDE on the mobo? I am wondering how to connect both my hard drive and my cd drive so that I can boot using my windows disk (I am only using a completely new HD right now, I want a clean installation of windows). I tried hooking them both up on the same cord with the CD-ROM being the primary and the HD the slave, with the jumpers on the HD set to master... no go. It just says "Boot disk could not be detected on the selected media". Any ideas?

I do have a USB DVD-RW drive that I would ideally like to use, but I don't know how to get the MOBO to boot from this USB drive? (It's not detected in BIOS)? PLEASE help! I really want to get this going tonight guys, so your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

connect cd rom at the end of the ide cable and select it as a master using the jumper, then the hard drive as slave, then configurate it in boot devices section of the bios.

No, set the Hard drive as the master and the CD drive as slave. In your BIOS there should be an option that allows you to select boot priority. Set the CD as the first boot option. It will look for the CD first, allowing you to install Windows.

haha they got u too
i realised that when i tried to connect second ide cable and was like wtf there should be another plug but i dont see it
looked for about 2 minutes and checked manual and was pretty ****ed cause i have 3 ata HD's
i have HD as master and cdrom as slave and it works good
but for my second HD i bought the usb toATA adapter on ebay an duse it thru usb port

thanks for the replies guys, I got it fixed. I decided to try and boot from my USB drive, but it wasn't recognizing it. The problem was it was plugged into a USB pci card, which didn't have drivers yet. I moved it to the board's USB slot, went into BIOS to set it as primary boot device, and viola! I am now typing this on the new comp. As a side note, though, how hot are Intel Pentium 4 630+'s supposed to run? It seems like it is running pretty hot, so I took off the side of the case for now (was running at like 75C, now is around 59-64). I think I'll pick up a new CPU fan to be safe. Thanks again guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom