how to detect a bad hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawmaterial

In Runtime
I am restoring a computer for a friend. My problem is it takes hours to restore windows xp home. i have done the installtion before and it never took this long, do we need to purchase a new hard drive? thank you!

its a dell Dell Dimension 4550, not 100 percent sure but no more then 4 years old and no newer then a year.

i have installed xp on this computer previously, and it was quick!

another on another computer and it was quick.

I would check the mbr for viruses, i like to use Norton, then to be sure nothing is on the hdd, delete the partition, create a new one, format the hdd, not using a 'quick format' but actually sit and wait for it to do a full format, then install windows xp. if you don't have an anti-virus that will check the MBR then just skip that step. Also depending on the hdd size, it might take 20-60 minutes to format. I hade a 40 gb and it takes about 45 minutes.

I did everything you said there, and i did use a the "FULL FORMAT," the format takes about an hour i believe its a 40 gb harddrive. still very slow on installing the OS.

Thanks !

do you think it could be a over heating problem? or maybe the CPU might be defective, i waited the whole process out, of installing windows xp, and the mouse cursor lags like hell same with the typing in Computer name and organization.... ect ect.. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom