How can I image one HD from another??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zambinni

Beta member
Here's the problem. (I'm looking for the H/W wizard) I have a Vaio laptop, and the cd/dvd player has been janky since I bought it for the most part. I want to replace my 20G internal HD with a new 60G internal HD I bought yesterday.

I installed the new HD, and cannot use the system recovery disks that came with the laptop, because the cd player won't read them.

resources: I have a linux box, an xp pro vaio tower, and a junk P I with win98 installed. I also have a usb cd player, and two external HDs. The laptop has 2 firewire 4pin and 3 usb connectors, and the tower has firewire 4 pin, and 6 pin connectors and more usb ports than I will ever use. The laptop also has parallel, and serial ports, and the P I box has these as well. the tower only has parallel. everything has ethernet, and everything has at least one cd and or dvd, except the one on the laptop doesn't work.

Here's the question for the Wizard: How can I get the laptop to use one of the other machines' cd players to read the 'system recovery' disks (like to boot off of)?? OR, how can I get the image from the 20G HD copied to the 60G HD.

I tried downloading microsoft's installation diskette program, which booted the laptop (sorta) but then it asked me to put my "xp home edition disk in the cd rom." I put the 'system recovery disk in, but still no luck with the laptop's cd player... I mean, it makes noises, but I think the discette program was looking for something else...

HELP!!

Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom