How big PSU do I need for this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripsy

Solid State Member
I just put a new mobo, cpu, and ram in my computer and am having some problems.. these are the two problems I am having.

1) Harddrive won't spin when the CD-ROM is connected to the IDE cable. If I boot with the IDE disconnected from the CD-ROM then the harddrive will spin. Also, if the IDE cable is connected to the CD-ROM, it will not open. However, if it is disconnected, I can open it.

2) Monitor is not getting a signal

I suspect that I'm having a power supply issue, since the mobo, cpu, and ram are all new. I am running a 480w psu and it powered my AMD 3700+ chip and 1.5 GB of PC3200 RAM, but need to know if it will power what I'm trying to power now...

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX All Solid Capacitor AMD Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX All Solid Capacitor AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADV60000DOBOX - Retail
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Kingston HyperX 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K4/4GR - Retail
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Quad Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I can't figure out what the problem is. Once before when I upgraded it was my power supply so thats what I suspect it is now. Should I try upgrading to a bigger wattage to see if it will power my system?

welcome to tf!
first off there's most likely an issue with the hdd and optical drive being on the same ide cable, have you always had it set up like that or is this a new thing. if its new make sure you've got the hdd set to master and the optical drive set to slave and you should be fine in that department.

secondly, psu power isn't all about watts, its about amps. I'm running watercooling, a q6600, 9600gt and 6 120mm fans on a 500w psu which is much more powerful than your rig. It comes down to the amps. If you could link us to the PSU we can see the amps on it and see if your rig is getting the power it needs. If you can't find the link, pop it open and just tell us the amps on the 12v rail/s. (there might be more than 1)

also if the system is adequately powered then my guess is a DOA mobo.

Nah on my old motherboard I had 2 IDE connections so I ran 1 IDE cable to my harddrive and ran a different IDE cable to my optical drive. My new motherboard only has 1 IDE cable so I have to use a 2 connector IDE cable in order to run both of them... Would the jumper settings make the drives not even turn on?

Here is my PSU that I have now
LOGISYS Computer PS480D 480W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail
Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer PS480D 480W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

It's a $16 PSU so it could very well be the problem, since I was just looking for something to power it.

Nah on my old motherboard I had 2 IDE connections so I ran 1 IDE cable to my harddrive and ran a different IDE cable to my optical drive. My new motherboard only has 1 IDE cable so I have to use a 2 connector IDE cable in order to run both of them... Would the jumper settings make the drives not even turn on?
yes, you also need to make sure they are recognized correctly in your bios.

Here is my PSU that I have now
LOGISYS Computer PS480D 480W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail
Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer PS480D 480W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

It's a $16 PSU so it could very well be the problem, since I was just looking for something to power it.

thats very much where i would start. that is an extremely weak PSU.
what video card are you running? or are you using onboard?

My board doesn't have on board video, I am using this video card. However, I have another PCI-e video card and 2 regular PCI video cards that I have tried and it hasn't worked like that either.

ASUS EAX1650XT/2DHT/256M/A Radeon X1650XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - ASUS EAX1650XT/2DHT/256M/A Radeon X1650XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I can't configure the bios because I can't get a signal sent to my monitor to get to the bios.

Does my current power supply have enough power to run everthing that I have? or is it a different issue?

that card doesnt need a whole lot of power to run. but the power supply would be my first guess, then the mobo.
if you can afford a new psu, it certainly would be a step up from your current one, so it wont hurt to try that. id try it first.

secondly, psu power isn't all about watts, its about amps.

Could someone pick out a good 500+ PSU for me? I've always just looked at the watts so I have no idea how to go about looking at the amps.

If the power supply turns out to not be the problem then I will file an RMA on the motherboard and see if that fixes it.

My guess would say that this would run it with no problem, but I don't know how many amps this has.

Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Retail
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom