hot house = dead video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The house gets hotter at night. Until one in the morning when it finally cools down. The computer room is on the top floor and I have black shingles on the roof, so the attic acts as a greenhouse, collecting the heat all day, causing the top floor to be hot.

Anyways, would it help if I underclocked the card heatwise? Stock is 350 core, 1000 DDR3. I'm trying 325 core.

Update/Bump

For a few days, the card has been running fairly cool and well. Temps average 60c for the GPU temp. The room temp now is 79f, so the case temp should be close to that since the case is open and the minifan is pointed directly inside. The P4's temps are good too.

Today, just a few minutes ago, I was browsing a site and all the sudden, the image when chaotic just like how it did on my first post. Weird thing is, the comp has been running the coolest today. I did a hard shutdown and waited a minute and started er up again, it seems to be running fine now.

Question is, it may not be the heat as the factor now, but something else. What could it be? I was not on any 3D app or even watching a video for that matter (But I have done some games and watched some videos with no problem lately). And if the card is really messed up, then why can I still use it most of the time?

of course, trendmicro online, panda online, and AVG free version. my PC is also clear of spyware and adware, using spybot, adaware, spyware blaster.

EDIT: I am asking my PC builder to take back the card once and for good. Since ASUS does not make the V9999 Gamer's edition anymore, I will be asking for a cheaper card and the difference back (since I can't afford a better card). I have been looking at 6600GT's on newegg and I have no idea what brand of card is good. XFX? Chaintech? I know rosewill and Asus are bad choices, any suggestions? I just want a reliable card for AGP 4/8x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom