Horizontal lines and BSODs when display adapter installed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Horizontal lines and BSODs when display adapter installed

A few days ago, I fell asleep with my computer on, and it was making a lot of fan noise throughout the night. When I got up and turned it off and on, it started having this problem, with multi-colored horizontal lines across the screen (pictured). After it logs on, it also has had various BSOD's within 10 secs to a minute including "page fault in nonpaged area," "bad pool caller," or "memory management." After one of the BSOD's the computer wouldn't boot anymore, so I had to reinstall Windows (all my stuff is backed up). When I boot into safe mode everything is fine. And if I uninstall or disable the display adapter, everything is fine (despite not being able to use the video card).

I tried several things: Installing new display drivers, dusting out the machine and video card, buying and trying out a new video card, reinstalling the chipset drivers. Nothing has worked so far- it still has the same problem.

This leads me to suspect that it might be a motherboard problem, but I really don't know.

Here are my specs:
Windows 7, 64bit
Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
240GB SSD
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
Video Card: I was using GeForce GTX 560Ti, and I just installed a GeForce GT 740 FTW that I'll probably return since it didn't fix the issue.

jpq21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Horizontal lines and BSODs when display adapter installed

I'd test your memory before saying it's a board fault.

Download/burn Memtest86+ to a CD and boot off of it. Run it for a minimum of 4 hours (the longer the better, overnight is recommended). If there are any errors at all, then it's an issue with one of the memory sticks (or slots) and you'll need to test each stick individually to see which one throws the errors. You can get it from here: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I did the memory test and it passed 100% with no errors (and the problem remains).
Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

If you have another CPU I would try that before buying another mobo. That would tell you whether or not it is the board or the chip. Odds are it is the board but it pays to make sure.

Also, try using a live CD of a version of Linux and see if it works OK. Your installation of Windows may be FUBAR instead of your hardware. Try this first.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpq21 View Post
A few days ago, I fell asleep with my computer on, and it was making a lot of fan noise throughout the night. When I got up and turned it off and on, it started having this problem, with multi-colored horizontal lines across the screen (pictured). After it logs on, it also has had various BSOD's within 10 secs to a minute including "page fault in nonpaged area," "bad pool caller," or "memory management." After one of the BSOD's the computer wouldn't boot anymore, so I had to reinstall Windows (all my stuff is backed up). When I boot into safe mode everything is fine. And if I uninstall or disable the display adapter, everything is fine (despite not being able to use the video card).

I tried several things: Installing new display drivers, dusting out the machine and video card, buying and trying out a new video card, reinstalling the chipset drivers. Nothing has worked so far- it still has the same problem.

I agree with trotter about testing out your mobo and cpu.
To rule out its not the cpu, reboot and go inside your bios.
Does it glitch up, or any miscolored display or garbage ?
if not download this https://software.opensuse.org/132/en. once its up let it run for 2-4 hours.

If that issue doesn't start up again its a problem with the mobo.
If its still under warrenty call asus soon and have the rma it.
Otherwise use this: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) AM3+ AMD 760G 2 SATA 6Gb/s (7~8) ports by ASMEDIA 1061 Supports storage and data transfers at up to 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

I have the mobo in my computer and its been running for 3 years with no problems.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post
I agree with trotter about testing out your mobo and cpu.
To rule out its not the cpu, reboot and go inside your bios.
Does it glitch up, or any miscolored display or garbage ?
if not download this https://software.opensuse.org/132/en. once its up let it run for 2-4 hours.

If that issue doesn't start up again its a problem with the mobo.
If its still under warrenty call asus soon and have the rma it.
Otherwise use this: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) AM3+ AMD 760G 2 SATA 6Gb/s (7~8) ports by ASMEDIA 1061 Supports storage and data transfers at up to 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

I have the mobo in my computer and its been running for 3 years with no problems.
Thank you so much for your help!

I did not have any problems in BIOS or Linux, so my CPU was not the problem.

I replaced the motherboard, and that fixed it! I got a great deal too, $39.99 with a $10 mail in rebate (making it $29.99) from Frys for an upgraded chipset.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpq21 View Post
Thank you so much for your help!

I did not have any problems in BIOS or Linux, so my CPU was not the problem.
No probs also beats having to call the cpu maker and have them replace it.
If it happens again be sure to remember that in the future.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display adapter, graphics card, horizontal lines, motherboard, video driver