Hoping this is a PSU problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicTrix

Beta member
I have had a problem with random reboots on my pc for some time now (6 months+). It used to only happen when playing heavy duty 3d games but has been getting more and more frequent.

My spec was/is:

ASROCK KS8SX Mobo
Athlon 2800+
POV GeForce 7800 256MB
2GB PC400 RAM
Thermaltake Xaser III Silent Purepower 480W PSU (now 12 months old)

So I go and buy a new MoBo and processor. I bought an ECS NForce3 A939 mobo with an Athlon 64 3800+ cpu. I install and try to switch the PC on - the startup doesn't get to the Post (fans and power on but nothing else happening). Nothing seems to fix this.

I start to cry.

I then put my old mobo and CPU back in and the system starts up again. However, the random reboots are now very frequent and I'm lucky if the PC stays on for 5 mins.

I have disabled the auto reboot in Windows so that I now get a BSoD. The microsoft error report just says there is some problem with your PC, probably mobo, memory, cpu or PSU.

Does this sound like I should get a new PSU? Or a new PC?...

Thanks in advance, DT

Ok thanks. I will try, although the PC will only stay on for a few minutes right now. It has also had this problem with various sticks - these 2 gigs are new. But I will give it a go.

*Edit

Tried running memtest but PC rebooted after 10 mins. Then would not get into windows before rebooting again.

dt

Bought another PSU, wasn't that! Then discovered that the CPU was around 70 degrees celcius! I am an eejit. Replaced the heatsink and it's working fine. Though I still can't get the new mobo and cpu I boght to work. That's another story...

Thanks for your help tho

Your processor is pretty old. That might be the problem.

How is your Windows running? Free of viruses, spyware, malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom