hookin up another HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud

In Runtime
i just bought another hd to put in my pc, but when i tore my pc apart to install it, i noticed that my original hd isnt hooked up with a IDE cable, it uses a normal lookin red cable instead, whats up with that? i cant put the other one in because it uses an IDE cable.

well the drive that you have in there at the moment is using a SATA cable connection, this is a newer way of connecting. you can still attach the new HDD using the IDE (PATA) ribbon, you just need to get hold of one. get em at any good online site, if you using only one CD drive you should even be able to put it in where the second one would normaly be as HDD's and Optical drives use the same IDE cable

how would i get power to it? the original hd power cable has a different power cable as well

ah, yeah the PATA's use a different type, should be a fairly large four pin male connector on your psu. roughly oblong with rounded edges on one side. this'll pulg in to the HDD in the matching slot. There should be one of these power slots on your PSU, as PATA is still standard for conecting HDD's. unless its a modulated one in which case check the other extentions for the matching head. the power type will be the same type as the one in the CD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom