Hmmmmmmmmm - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Hmmmmmmmmm

when i walk away and leave my computer on it locks up or even if it resumes i have to reboot because it works i mean real real real slow i have to reboot every time i leave it idle? what is the answers standby mode? but every time i walk away i have to put it in standby mode?

Old 05-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Memberbot

What that usually means is that your system resources are being hogged. Newer computers generally have no problem coming out of standby mode. I have noticed that if I am burning a DVD or doing something that is using a lot of resources, and my comp goes into standby mode, coming out of standby mode is a bit of a chore and usually takes a while.

What are your comp's specs?

EDIT: I also moved this to the troubleshooting section, as it doesn't really pertain to building any computers

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 05-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

windows xp 2002
mobile Intel r
Pentium 2
4-m CPU
1.70ghz
837mhz
512 ram
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it\'s an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Memberbot

With specs like that, it shouldn't really be slowing down on you.

However, it is a laptop, and likely has a 5400rpm hard drive, which certainly doesnt help.

I'll give you a few things to check:

1) How much CPU and RAM are being used up when idle, but not in sleep mode? This can be checked from task manager.

2) What kind of power saving options do you have turned on? Things like turning hard drives off, etc will all slow the 'awakening' of a laptop.

XFX nForce 650i Ultra
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Old 05-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Laptops are coming with lots of unnecessary software inside. Probabaly one of these softwares starts running when the computer is idle. I dont think its a virus because most laptops have a virus scanner installed, mostly Norton. I recommend you to do following:

1) Detect all softwares in your computer that you dont use
2) Search from internet and learn more about these softwares in order to do not delete something critical by mistake
3) Uninstall it after being sure that the software is unnecessary

I also recommend you to uninstall Norton and setup a new virus scanner which cause less cpu usage like AVG

If all these doesnt work, well... then my theory is that the graphics card causing this problem because in the laptops graphic cards are using RAM which cause slow system work. Maybe when your computer is idle your graphic card just get crazy for a reason
Old 05-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

1) How much CPU and RAM are being used up when idle, but not in sleep mode? This can be checked from task manager.

2) What kind of power saving options do you have turned on? Things like turning hard drives off, etc will all slow the 'awakening' of a laptop.

1) Detect all softwares in your computer that you dont use

how do i check these things?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it\'s an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Memberbot

1) By opening Task Manager.

2) Usually via software that came with your laptop.

XFX nForce 650i Ultra
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Old 05-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

What kind of power saving options do you have turned on? Things like turning hard drives off, etc will all slow the 'awakening' of a laptop.

what about these options

Closed Thread