hmm, cant solve this - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default hmm, cant solve this

Ok, well, i was ocing slightly, was at 3.8. I stress tested it with linx for 20 mins, no problems, low 70's temp. vcore 1.2500 in the bios. I decided to see if it could up te fsb and not have to change the vcore. I believe i upped it to 180, or 190. cant remember. Anyway. It was only by ten. I started up linx, and was watching my temps. It ran for about 4.5 mins, temps were reasonable, high 70's. Not anywhere near enough to do damage. Then the screen goes black, then the comp turns completly off. I press the power button, it turns on. Nothing on the screen, and the gpu fan is blairing at like 100% like the thing was about to take off. Anyway, i shut it down again as it was sitting at a black screen, because the monitor could not pick up a signal. I cleaners the cmos, and tried again. This time it turned on for a few seconds then turned off. Clicked the power button again, this time turned on for about half a second. Tried that several more times and still half a second. So i imedietly thought it was the **** psu again, as this is the exact same thing that happened last time i had to rma it, except it bsoded randomly then would not turn on, but some times would, but same no signal, loud fan, etc. I changed the psu out, no luck, same thing. So i the gpu was blairing, so i thought it might be that, threw in two other cards, both of them would nto work either (but no blairing fan, just no signal. I swapped the ram out three different dimms, and one at a time, no luck either. Im lost now. The voltages were no where near high enough to damage anything, nor the heat. But it seems to me that it is down to either the cpu or motherboard.

Really could use some help.

Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: hmm, cant solve this

Were you watching your Vreg Temp? That's what it sounds like. If your Vreg hits 80C it will shut everything down. Let it sit and cool off for an hour and try it again. If it's still not working I would RMA the mobo.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

^yeah you mentioned that before. I tried looking for it in hwmonitor, i could not find anything of the kinda. anyway, it been off well over an hour and still nothing. So you say the mobo? any chance it could be the cpu though? i dont want to rma twice for no reason.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I guess it's possible that the cpu is bad, but I really doubt it.

I really think it's the mobo. I'm trying to think of a good way to say I think this may be a good thing. Now that it's dead I'm thinking it was never quite right. You never got the overclock I was expecting, like it was assembled on a Friday (manufacturing) and the party was about to start .

Edit:
The Vreg temp should be located in the same place as it is for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

^yeah, thats very true, i could never get a decent oc, but i guess that could also be the cpu...but im going to trust your experience, as you have much more of that when it comes to overclocking. I guess im rmaing the mobo. Thanks for the help slay. Hopefully it is the mobo, i would hate to have to rma two things, as i have already rmaed a part for this build, dont really want to do a third as well lol.

AS for the vreg thing, i never seen that when i checked hwmonitor, perhaps i have an older version that does not have it or something, or maybe i just missed it.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Keep us updated

Did you buy the advanced shipping option? I think I paid like $10 extra and they cross-ship a new mobo with 2 day shipping.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

^no i don't believe i did, and i just realized that the only box i have that is big enough is really really deep, and is going to cost like 30 bucks to ship it....this sucks. I hate computer parts some times lol, but love them as well lol.

Yeah i shall update this when i get the mobo back, im going to probably send it out monday, hopefully if i can make it down to the post office.

Closed Thread