HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B Drive Not Reading Or Writing -- Need Driver?

Is GUN a good game??

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot309

Beta member
Hi,

My user's computer is an HP Compaq D510 or D530 (not sure which, and I can't check at the moment). The CD/DVD-RW drive is an HL-TS-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B. The user doesn't know if it ever worked, because he never tried using it before. When you put in a CD, it tries to read it for a while and then fails. When you double-click on the CD drive (under XP Pro), it seems to read the drive's contents as empty (i.e., it doesn't give you error messages like "please insert a disc," or anything--it just shows an empty window). Normally, when you try to explore or view the CD contents, Windows Explorer freezes up until the drive quits trying.

It's an IDE drive, by the way. I made sure the power and ribbon connections were firmly in there, and I checked Device Manager. It thinks the device is working properly (never was an exclamation point there to indicate a problem). I uninstalled the drive and then rebooted and let XP find the new hardware. It did, but I never got the "Your New Hardware is Ready to Use" dialog--I guess it only does that if it automatically installs a driver? The CD/DVD drive again appeared to be working properly in Device Manager. I tried to update the driver by having Windows automatically find the correct driver, but it could not be found.

The best I've been able to do in terms of finding a driver online is find this page on HP's Web site, which refers to the HDLS (not HL-TS-ST) GCC-4481B. It may work, but I don't want to try it until I'm more certain:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...item=pv-28110-1

Any ideas? Also, I noted that the diskette drive (on the same ribbon cable) does work, but slowly...and the user complains that opening up My Computer is slow. I checked for processes running in the background and didn't find anything suspicious. I have no idea. Help if you can.

Thanks,
Hotshot309

Did you ever resolve this? I have same rw/dvd...also get error explorer.exe not responding when I insert disc. Will sometimes read cd or dvd...but right now, not seeing any cd's...just dvds. I have not tried copying or burning anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom