Hissing Motherboard or CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try 3dmark.

So I tried 3dmark and there was a hiss, however even in its most intense parts of the test, I had to really listen for it. Nowhere near as loud as scrolling a particular few gif files on some of the websites I visit.

Odd, well do you have a CRT monitor or an LCD? I know a CRT can make strange noises when its a bit old... Could also be the PSU, IMO that is probably what it most likely is.

LCD, brand new. I tried an older monitor and a couple tvs just to be sure. I might have an extra psu laying around to try, if I can find it.

Yea, try the PSU, I have heard some strange noises come from them before especially if they can't handle the load for some unknown reason.

Your Power Supply was the 1st thing I thought of. I've had power supplies die and a new one fixed me right up. I've also had a power supply die with a "Pop" and it ate 2 hard drives and my dvd burner.

I thought it would be the CRT monitor for sure.

I have a really old 19 inch and it makes a hissing noise too.

It's still interesting that it's loudest when the OP scrolls in certain sites in IE. I gotta say, that's a new one for me.
Like the others said, it could be your psu, but I'm stumped as to why it would behave as you've described.

I am stumped on that to, but that is about the only thing left that could be causing a hissing, if he HAD a CRT, that would be the most likely cause...

BTW is scrolling through them sites, and if they have heavy flash or something similar, his processor is used to process most the data, and his processor COULD be pulling more power than his GPU when it was running 3dmark and such... Just a theory on that tough.

Mine actually does the same darn thing.. I was wondering wth that noise was..

It does it at the beginning of a game when it flashes the game logo, Intel C2D, and NVidea.. I can hear it when I have the volume down or off.. It's not loud, just barely noticeable.

*lurks*

Negative on the power supply. For giggles, I did some extra work with the case, rearranged fans, reapplied thermal compound and put on an unused heatsink. I took off a good 8 degrees off both the cpu and gpu, but it didn't affect the sound or its volume one bit.

Keywords: buzzing hizzing weird strange sound computer Windows 7 Aero
---

I have the same problem with a "hizzing" sound.

I just installed Windows 7 on a brand new computer (i7 Quad Core, two ATI Radeon 4850, PT6 ASUS)

The first time i noticed it was when I switched user to a temp account. Whenever I moved window, resize or sometimes scrolling I can hear a sound from the computer.

It is NOT the speakers (no speakers connected) and it doesnt matter if I mute the sound or not. It is not the harddrive, since I only use SSD. Im guessing processor.

In any case, the sound disappeared when I logged on to my normal account. I couldnt understand why, until I switched my normal account to using the Aero theme.

As soon as I had Aero going, the sound was there.

So, when enabeling Aero the irritating buzzing sound well appear. Im guessing the graphics card has more to do when using Aero, but why the sound appears at all beats me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom