High Pitched whine sound - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default High Pitched whine sound

Its been going on sense I formatted about a week ago.
It is coming from inside the tower... Its not The HD, PSU, gfx card or dvd roms. I cant pinpoint it exactly but it sound like its coming from the CPU area its not a loose wire either.
I have opened it up a few times and moved things around and socket/re-socketed things.

The most odd thing about the nose its not 100% all the time, it seems to be whenever im doing something like opening up a window or scrolling over a button like its somehow linked to the cpu or something.
Thx for any help... im hoping someone has had this problem before.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: High Pitched whine sound

First I would clean everything thoroughly with a can of air. Next I would reseat everything (as you've already done).

See if maybe a wire is touching the CPU fan.

My last thought is that a capacitor on the motherboard could be failing. I know that sounds weird, but I remember a post a while back about the same issue, and the person pinpointed the capacitor that was making a high-pitched whining sound. This could be the same issue on your motherboard.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
My last thought is that a capacitor on the motherboard could be failing.
Yup, this is usually the case. Might not be specifically the motherboard, but a capacitor somewhere.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I did spray everything down already.... but i can only stick my head in so far to locate the sound... how would I find out which capacitor is faulty? And what do they look like? are they replaceable?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

They are the battery sized / looking pieces on the motherboard. They can be replaced but it isn't suggested. If one goes out more than likely the board just needs to be replaced. You need a good deal of knowledge with soldering and electronic circutry.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yeah, once a capacitor goes out, you're kinda SOL unless you REALLY know your electronics. Looks like it's time for an upgrade.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I suggest putting your towen somewhere where you can EASILY look inside it (you may have to lie it flat on your bench or something), take the side of the case off and start the computer. You should have more luck trying to pinpoint the source of the noise then.

oh, and you don't really REALLY need to be an electronics whizz, all you basically need is to know how to solder well. You don't need to know what the cap is doing, just find a replacement cap in the closest electronics store to you. They are little cylinders which are dotted all around the motherboard, usually with a silver top.
There'll be values on the side of the cap, that's how you'll know what cap to get as a replacement.

You can tell if it's busted if the top is popped up, if there's any scorch marks on the cap or the legs of the cap, etc.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

High pitch whines are usually fans.

I had this issue with another PC and when it started I would tap the top of the case and it would stop. Turned out my GPU fan, cpu fan and all my case fans looked like a vacuum cleaner bag. I cleaned everything and what do you know... the whine was gone.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hiphopapotamus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
I suggest putting your towen somewhere where you can EASILY look inside it (you may have to lie it flat on your bench or something), take the side of the case off and start the computer. You should have more luck trying to pinpoint the source of the noise then.

oh, and you don't really REALLY need to be an electronics whizz, all you basically need is to know how to solder well. You don't need to know what the cap is doing, just find a replacement cap in the closest electronics store to you. They are little cylinders which are dotted all around the motherboard, usually with a silver top.
There'll be values on the side of the cap, that's how you'll know what cap to get as a replacement.

You can tell if it's busted if the top is popped up, if there's any scorch marks on the cap or the legs of the cap, etc.
Agreed. Caps are probably just about the easiest thing on a board to replace.

While you've got the computer laid out flat and running, just press your finger onto the top of each capacitor in turn (not too hard). when you press the whiny one (if it IS a cap and not a fan or something) the noise will (should) stop. If it is a cap that's the problem, you'll probably feel that the top of the knackered one(s) is/are convex, whereas good ones are flat.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok... after further investigation.... I believe it is the Power supply unit... when i put my ear to the back of the computer that is where the noise is by far the loudest.... does this mean its going bad? or over worked? uggggg

Closed Thread