HELP!! Windows XP Freezing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HELP!! Windows XP Freezing

Ok, here's the sit. I'm quite computer competent, and i've tried everything, from disabling on-board stuff in the bios, pulling various cards out, formatting, reinstalling, updates vs no updates, etc. and my system still freezes randomly.

System specs:
Epox 8khda+
Athlon 64 280+
1024 MB Crucial RAM
NVidia geforce 6200
SB Live Plat. 5.1
Generic Firewire card
Linksys Ethernet & Wireless card

The only thing I have installed is Digidesign Pro Tools LE.

I've got the latest drivers from Nvidia (i've also run all versions in between the one that came on the disc and the current version)

The system just randomly seems to lock up, it generally occurs when i'm running Pro Tools, but considering that is all i use the computer for these days, its more of a coincidence than anything.
My computer is kept offline, my network cards aren't even installed right now. So viruses aren't an option. the system has been wiped clean, full formats, multiple times, using multiple variations of cards in different sockets, and i still get the same random freezing. Now last night, I thought it may have been the HD so I replaced that with a spare i had sitting around. i re-did everything again, and was able to run pro tools running full steam, using plugins while recording, making adjustments, and recorded for 25 min. then stopped and opened up a new file and worked on that for another 15 and it was perfect. normally the system locks up anywhere between the 16-20 min. mark. so this was a breakthrough.
I hooked up the system to my parents network, using the onboard ethernet, just to get windows updated with service packs so i can install my seagate 250GB HD. and after installing the final update and restarting, i walked away. upon returning, mind you no programs are running beyond basic system files, the computer was locked up. the temp's are fine. usually never exceeds 115 *F, but usually hangs anywhere between 85-108. I've run out of ideas.

Please Help.
Will

Old 09-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Have you run Memtest 86?
Have you run a HD Diagnostic Tool? (UBC or Symatec or HDD)
Have you tested your unmentioned powersupply with a DMM?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i ran the full tests supplied with the seagate, including a mem test, and it checked out. that's how i caught the issue with the one HD, the others i've run full surface tests and they were perfect. the power supply is perfectly fine.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

man i think ur mother bored is broken !! try check the part on other computers !
Old 09-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i actually thought it was the power supply in one of my first tests a couple months back, so i stripped the system bare and left only what was needed to run, and it still locked up. the only thing i keep coming back to is a conflict between the mobo and video card, and i don't even know where to begin to fix that. buying a new card is out of question. i'm running on a very tight budget.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

dont buy new parts man ..
try out old cards or ur friends ..
my computer used to run like crazy and freezez like always .. it also gives me errors when i click the start button .. check ur main bored man !
Old 09-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to shdwsclan

It could be a misconfigured CPU.
Make sure the chip is set to the proper voltage....dont forget to check the ram voltage, and the FSB multiplier....

The pipeline logic will distabilize if you OC the proc.

Also, make sure you dump any garbage-ware using msconfig
Old 09-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

an unstable system (with a fresh Windows install) is usually due to the power supply, but can sometimes be the motherboard