Help! - Video Card or MoBo or WHAT? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help! - Video Card or MoBo or WHAT?

My System - gigabyte GA965P-DS3 mobo, xfx geforce 7600gt, core 2 duo e7200, ocz pc2 6400 2gb (1gbx2) dual channel plat. rev. 2, antec case w/ 350w power
The Problem - worked fine for all gaming for nearly 2 years then 3 weeks ago graphics started having multicolor dots on black backgrounds with vertical elongations on some graphics. then 1 week ago while gaming it started having screen go black for few seconds then picture would return as normal. I thought my gpu might be failing. and finally today, the computer would turn on but the monitor says "no signal detected". video card, right? but why then can't i access the dvd drives and why does the reset button not work and I can't turn off the computer by holding down the power button as would normally work. I checked all connections, cleaned everything, and noted that all fans including cpu and gpu are working properly when it is turned on. I can't check the gpu in another computer because i have no access to one.
I'd really appreciate some help/advice..................thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Help! - Video Card or MoBo or WHAT?

The card could be shorting out the system somehow. But the dots/artifacts and the blanking screen are sure signs of the video card crapping out. It could be a freaky mobo slot or even a faultly power supply but the video is the most likely candidate. Without a few spare parts to try swapping out your stuck with buying parts til it's fixed or you can take it to a PC repair shop.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

I agree with slay, it sounds like your GPU is pretty much done or maybe just has something wrong with the cooling, but the system is locking up: I had that happen with an AGP card back in the day when the GPU wayyy overheated and locked my system down, it froze with display still coming out but artifacted really bad and I couldn't eject my drives or anything... Do you have onboard video? also can you check your GPU's temps in speedfan or something?
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks slay & bmx - i'm suspicious that more than the gpu is fried and decided to cough up the $ to have a local pc repair guy test all components for me. it's got to be better than replacing one piece at a time and hoping i picked the right part. i'll re-post the results of the post-mortem under this thread in case you're interested in the outcome. thanks again for your advice !
Old 08-22-2009, 03:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

lol don't see why you did that already, how do you think he tests it? most of us on here know the same strategies as them, and they are fairly simple (like make sure your ram and video card are seated fully) and check your temps on the gpu to see if there are any overheating issues. feeling the heatsink is not always the best way to diagnose an overheating problem since if there is a bad thermal connection then the gpu would be hotttt and hs would not be warm at all...
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Closed Thread