(HELP) VGA not working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation (HELP) VGA not working

Hey im new to the whole computer building and getting the right pieces together i've actually been teaching myself by reading books and everything but i need help i been asking on yahoo answers but then i was referred here i was given an old computer which was working fine up until a few days ago when i turned it on and nothing happend i heard the computer start up as normal but the screen stayed the same i took a peek inside and found everything to appear normal. when i restarted it a few times and nothing happend i went out and bought a graphics card...i thought it was the vga port but its the same i dont know what to do or what the problem is...the computer is a dell XP and i tried installing a nvidia geforce 8400gs graphics card. the problem is the screen stays black and theres nothing going on. i unplug the vga and i know the moniter isnt the problem because it works fine with my other computer

Old 02-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: (HELP) VGA not working

Are you using the AVG/DVI port on the Graphic card? After you insert a graphic card, video woul be default to the card. Onboard would not work, mostly.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Are you using the AVG/DVI port on the Graphic card? After you insert a graphic card, video woul be default to the card. Onboard would not work, mostly.
no im using the regular port for the vga but nothing show up
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Onboard VGA, or on the 8400gs card?