Help! Unsolvable DVD Burner Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VM1138

Beta member
Words can not express the frustration, the irritation, the anger that the following problem is causing me. Whenever I have a computer problem, it's generally one that no one on any tech forum has ever heard of, and the tech support for the product doesn't come close to solving it (of all the programs over the years, I've never once got a solution from product support because I've never had any of those problems they list).

Here's the situation:

I have a Plextor PX-504A (Rev. 1.02) DVD/CD-RW Burner. I've been burning DVDs (8x speed) for two or three months now with no problems. Last Tuesday was the last day it worked successfuly. Nothing on the computer was changed (that I know of), but the next day, I could not get the computer to recognize a blank DVD.

It WILL play DVDs and CDs. It WILL burn CDs.
It WILL NOT read a blank DVD.

I've tried cleaning the lens. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. I've already got the most recent update. I've tried system restore to last Tuesday when it worked correctly.

And then, somehow today I got it to finally recognize blank DVDs 3 times. But it was almost random. I don't nkow what I did (if anything worked) to get it to suddenly recognize blank DVDs again, but out of the 3 data DVDs I burned today, it took about 6 tries. It recognized a blank DVD after about two times not recognizing it.

But then, poof, it was all gone again. My computer (or the DVD burner) will not read a blank DVD.

I've scoured the net. There is no answer in FAQ or support from Plextor, there's no help from various websites, and there's not even a successful solution to be found on TechTV's forums.

I don't have the cash to go out to buy another DVD burner, so someone please tell me this is fixable! Thanks in advance.

Well it might be overheating. Make sure a get a can of compressed air and clean all the dust out of your comp. Or it is either faulty or you need a new PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom