Help Troubleshooting Hardware Failure - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Help Troubleshooting Hardware Failure

I've had the same desktop for a few years which I originally assembled myself. Recently, the machine starting have random hard power-offs (like somebody yanked the power cord out of the power supply). The power-offs started becoming more frequent until the machine always powered off before every loading the BIOS. After contacting the motherboard manufacturer (Abit), I had determined the problem was either with the motherboard or the power supply, which I ruled out after attaching a good power supply. So, I ordered a new motherboard (and Asus this time) and installed it. Oddly enough, the machine still powers off before ever loading a BIOS even with the new motherboard installed.

After removing all drives (hard and optical) as well as the video card and memory, the machine still powers off shortly after starting (I can't tell if the BIOS would have loaded because I removed the video card). After removing the processor (keep in mind everything is removed except, of course, the power supply) the power comes on and seems to stay on.

Does this mean the processor is bad?

Has anybody experienced this before? If so, please help shed some light on the situation.

Closed Thread