Help troubleshooting a DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hi All,

Just recently built a new system. My Liteon DVDRW was working great, but when I got the new system it hangs at boot up saying "Detecting secondary master" which is the DVD drive. I thought it was a weak power supply, but I just got in my 550w antec truepower today and it still hangs. I tested the drive in my second system and it fired right up. I threw in a 52x drive I used to install the OS when I setup the PC and it fired right up as well. My system is in my signature, and I'm clueless at this point. Like I said, the drive works, but my system doesn't like it. What could be the problem?

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated. The drive was purchased from NewEgg about 3 weeks ago and I've never had to RMA anything, but if I can't get it to work soon maybe they will let me swap it out for another brand or something.

Boot Sequence is CD/DVD then Hard Disk.

Would swapping the sequence make a difference? Or removing the CD/DVD from boot alltogether?

Awesome! Great info, just read it over, thank you.

Question for you Jeremy.. I have my Sata2 HDD setup in BIOS as Sata 2 but running in "IDE MODE". (I didn't have a Sata 2 driver when I setup the PC so I just went IDE, going to do a reinstall soon) Anyway, I'm guessing that even though it's a SATA 2 HDD if I have it set as IDE it's probably running as IDE master, right? It must be using an IDE channel. So would it make sense to set the DVDRW to Slave and connect it to the secondary IDE cable porton the mobo? Also, should I then connect the second part of the IDE cable to the DVDRW and not the end? I'm not even sure it will reach if I try to do that. My IDE controllers are at the bottom of my board and it's a tight stretch as it is. Again, thanks for the great info. I figured I'd post and see your thoughts before I try anything.

you welcome :) , the "ide channel" the sata drive is on is virtual its for compatbility so you wont need to use a floppy , you only need to use the floppy when using raid , it got nothin to do with the real ide channels so that doesnt much sense

if you got 2 optical drives then set one to master and the other to slave (if only one drive then set to master) ,as for the ide cable connectors mobo-->slave drive-->master drive (or in a more simple manner , blue to the mobo ide slot & grey to the slave drive & black to the master drive)

Thanks Jeremy, up and running well :) Seemed the Lite-on didn't like being set to master, so I tried slave and it fired right up. I assumed it was a software problem, so appreciate the point in the right direction! :)

Since you understood what I was saying in regards to setting the SATA 2 HDD as "IDE mode" maybe you can answer one more question. In my manual for the MOBO it says to run a SATA 2 drive in raid or in "SATA MODE" you need to install the sata driver. I slipstreamed to driver onto my XP Pro SP2 CD. When I initially installed the MOBO I tried setting it to SATA 2 mode in the bios but it would not detect the drive, so I obviously needed the sata driver. (which I now have) Still, I installed under IDE mode just to get it up and running.

My question, is the drive actually running slower in "IDE MODE" then if I had installed the driver and went with "SATA mode" ?

If it is, I barely have anything on the system so now would be a great time to reformat.

Again, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom