Help with SSD I/O error - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help with SSD I/O error

Hi,

I have a samsung ultrabook with this internal SanDisk SSD i100 16GB used with expresscache technology.
I managed the SSD long ago when I change vista for 7, and then as suggested, used MacDisk to create HFS+ partition and since then ExpressCache was working good, controlled by Samsung software.
A couple of months ago, my computer started to slow down, and recently I found out that expresscache is not working anymore (its not present in the samsung software).

So after deactivate the service (expresscache.exe) I tried to reinstall, but didn't work.
Then I try with diskpart to clean partitions, but I got the message "DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
I tried to do a surface write (destructive) test with hard disk sentinel, but it says "The media is write protected". In the overview, HDSentinel says that health of the disk is excellent and SMART says that all attributes status are OK.
The I booted with GParted but again no luck, input/output error, and the disk shows unallocated space and no partitions. Also fsck, ask me "could this be a zero-length partition?".

While I am not a master in SSDs or hardware things, I understand more than some basics in computing. But I don't know what am I missing here, and don't know what kind of test should I do to definitely understand if it's just a software problem or if the disk is completely dead. In the latter case, what would have been the reason? Computer it's just 2 years old.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Sikkimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Help with SSD I/O error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkimes View Post
Hi,

I have a samsung ultrabook with this internal SanDisk SSD i100 16GB used with expresscache technology.
I managed the SSD long ago when I change vista for 7, and then as suggested, used MacDisk to create HFS+ partition and since then ExpressCache was working good, controlled by Samsung software.
A couple of months ago, my computer started to slow down, and recently I found out that expresscache is not working anymore (its not present in the samsung software).

So after deactivate the service (expresscache.exe) I tried to reinstall, but didn't work.
Then I try with diskpart to clean partitions, but I got the message "DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
I tried to do a surface write (destructive) test with hard disk sentinel, but it says "The media is write protected". In the overview, HDSentinel says that health of the disk is excellent and SMART says that all attributes status are OK.
The I booted with GParted but again no luck, input/output error, and the disk shows unallocated space and no partitions. Also fsck, ask me "could this be a zero-length partition?".

While I am not a master in SSDs or hardware things, I understand more than some basics in computing. But I don't know what am I missing here, and don't know what kind of test should I do to definitely understand if it's just a software problem or if the disk is completely dead. In the latter case, what would have been the reason? Computer it's just 2 years old.

Thanks in advance for any reply!
Give this a try and see if you ssd maybe having issues or dying.
If not check the cables attached to the drive, it maybe a simple issue is that.
You may want to consider a new ssd drive if possible.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Um....are you using OSX on that Ultrabook? If not, then why were you using HFS+ on the cache? In Windows HFS+ should be read only. Use that Mac disk to take the HFS+ partition off and repartition it in Windows using the Samsung software or Gparted.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Here you go I forgot to include this.
SSD Life - freeware version info

Test your ssd to make sure the drives health is good and error free.
If it is not, I recommend getting it replaced, since you said it was soldered.
Find a computer shop willing to desolder and add in a ssd of your own choosing.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post

But OP never said anything was soldered though? .

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
I did a Ctrl+F and you saying soldered is the first mention of it on this thread.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
I did a Ctrl+F and you saying soldered is the first mention of it on this thread.
Same thing I did lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:

Thanks but I already tried SSD-Life. It says that the SSD HDD it's in healthy conditions..
About replacing it, I want to find out what's the problem first. Every software says that the disk it's in good conditions.
Sikkimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker

Have you checked for a firmware update on the SSD?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Um....are you using OSX on that Ultrabook? If not, then why were you using HFS+ on the cache? In Windows HFS+ should be read only. Use that Mac disk to take the HFS+ partition off and repartition it in Windows using the Samsung software or Gparted.
Or just do this.
HSF+ is read only in Windows if it can even be seen. How it was working before was beyond me.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
i/o error, ssd, write protected, zero-length partition