Help! Sound/Internet Died!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theheresy

Solid State Member
Hi guys, my girlfriend has a relatively oldish Dell Dimension 4700 Pentium 4 3.4ghz with 1gb ram. Everything was working fine, we were watching videos, movies on it earlier. Then I bought The Sims 2 and installed it on her computer. When the game booted up after installing, it had no sound. I exited the game to try to fix it and suddenly the whole PC had no sound.
Now, we uninstalled the game and rebooted the PC countless times and there's no sound and now apparently no internet either. It's as if the installation has deleted my drivers and I can't even go on the internet to get new ones.

Furthermore, here's more about the strange problem.

1. When I go into device manager I can see Sound Blaster Live! 24bit and SoundMAX Audio device and they both say "working properly" yet when I go into the windows volume control the volume is at 0 greyed out and unable to touch it and it says "no audio device" ...what gives??

2. The strange problem is that the computer now suddenly boots much slower, when it gets to actually entering Windows (Win XP Service pack 2 by the way) and it hangs there for a few minutes longer before actually starting windows and now the sys tray icons at the bottom are missing and when I open something like "my computer" if I MINIMIZE it, it disappears and there's no minimized icon of it at the bottom of the screen... what could have possibly went wrong! The computer is unusable now someone please help!

Keep in mind, the game is not corrupted or anything because I then installed it on my own (which I'm using now) AMD Phenom 9850 quad core 2.5ghz 8gb ram win7 64bit and the game works perfectly fine.

What should I do?

p.s. we don't have her original win xp installation/recovery disks because someone gave her that computer...what can I do?

Thanks

Uninstall the drivers and reinstall new ones downloaded from Dell's website.

Uninstall the drivers and reinstall new ones downloaded from Dell's website.

it won't let me when I tried to install a driver it says something about the RCP server not working.

None of my devices seem to work in the sense that the internet is gone, sound is gone etc...what is wrong I don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom