Help! Sound/Internet Died! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help! Sound/Internet Died!

Hi guys, my girlfriend has a relatively oldish Dell Dimension 4700 Pentium 4 3.4ghz with 1gb ram. Everything was working fine, we were watching videos, movies on it earlier. Then I bought The Sims 2 and installed it on her computer. When the game booted up after installing, it had no sound. I exited the game to try to fix it and suddenly the whole PC had no sound.
Now, we uninstalled the game and rebooted the PC countless times and there's no sound and now apparently no internet either. It's as if the installation has deleted my drivers and I can't even go on the internet to get new ones.

Furthermore, here's more about the strange problem.

1. When I go into device manager I can see Sound Blaster Live! 24bit and SoundMAX Audio device and they both say "working properly" yet when I go into the windows volume control the volume is at 0 greyed out and unable to touch it and it says "no audio device" ...what gives??

2. The strange problem is that the computer now suddenly boots much slower, when it gets to actually entering Windows (Win XP Service pack 2 by the way) and it hangs there for a few minutes longer before actually starting windows and now the sys tray icons at the bottom are missing and when I open something like "my computer" if I MINIMIZE it, it disappears and there's no minimized icon of it at the bottom of the screen... what could have possibly went wrong! The computer is unusable now someone please help!

Keep in mind, the game is not corrupted or anything because I then installed it on my own (which I'm using now) AMD Phenom 9850 quad core 2.5ghz 8gb ram win7 64bit and the game works perfectly fine.

What should I do?

p.s. we don't have her original win xp installation/recovery disks because someone gave her that computer...what can I do?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Help! Sound/Internet Died!

Uninstall the drivers and reinstall new ones downloaded from Dell's website.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Uninstall the drivers and reinstall new ones downloaded from Dell's website.
it won't let me when I tried to install a driver it says something about the RCP server not working.

None of my devices seem to work in the sense that the internet is gone, sound is gone etc...what is wrong I don't understand
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is the window audio service started and running?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally Posted by underpaidoverworked View Post
Is the window audio service started and running?
how do i check that?
Closed Thread