Help! Shrinking hard disk space? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2006, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help! Shrinking hard disk space?

I am experiencing a problem with regards to inaccurate free disk on one of my hard disk. This morning I had a message that I had a very low remaining free space left (180 mB) and I then transferred 200 mB of files over to another hard disk. However, it did not show any increase in remaining free space.

(Actually I already transferred another 200 mB of files over to another hard disk the day before when they said i had 200 mB left. But there was no sign of increase in hd space as well.)

Sometimes this things will happen but after a while it will rectify itself when there are changes in free space left right? But this time, instead of increasing by 400 mB , suddenly it dropped to 100 mB for no particular reason.

I kept freeing my hard disk until there is 15% of free memory, and conducted a defrag. The hard disk usage is still the same (8.25 gig) when I click properties of the hard disk. However, when I highlighted all the files inside the hard disk and check the size usage it's only 7.03 gig. And size on disk is only 6.06 gig!

May I know what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Maybe this little info will help? When I started up my computer this morning the engine was making very noisy sounds.. had to restart to disable the sounds. Could it be that it "destroyed" 1 gig of the hard disk?

Old 04-22-2006, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Stevo808

So your saying you transfered 200mb to another disk and your old hdd still have not increased even though you transfered the files?

If so just delete the files off your old hdd since you transfered the files to another hdd.

<---- Please REP if i was helpful! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Old 04-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

could be the pagefile :/ but it seems unlikely. the pagefile would not be included when you highlighted your drives contents and pagefiles are commonly sized around 1gb and can be variable as well which could explain how it kept on reducing in size.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

When you copy files from one hard drive to another, it doesn't move the files, it just makes a copy, and pastes it on the other HDD. So just delete the files on the old HDD and you should be fine. Trust me on this one, I have a 40GB in my PC, a 40GB in my network server, and a 20GB drive I got off a friend, and I copy files between them all the time to make space where and when I need it! Hehehehe, which means I have to do it alot!
AMD64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2GB Kingston Hyper-X (2-3-2-6)
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
Old 04-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi! Thanks for replying.. Wow this forum really rocks! Oh, actually I cut the files and move them into another hard drive. There is no change in memory though initially.

However, I think about 2 hours after I posted this entry, suddenly the memory shot back up miraculously. I've no idea why..

But thanks for the help still! Hopefully the problem won't arise again!
Closed Thread