Help! Shrinking hard disk space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murasame2005

Beta member
Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with regards to inaccurate free disk on one of my hard disk. This morning I had a message that I had a very low remaining free space left (180 mB) and I then transferred 200 mB of files over to another hard disk. However, it did not show any increase in remaining free space.

(Actually I already transferred another 200 mB of files over to another hard disk the day before when they said i had 200 mB left. But there was no sign of increase in hd space as well.)

Sometimes this things will happen but after a while it will rectify itself when there are changes in free space left right? But this time, instead of increasing by 400 mB , suddenly it dropped to 100 mB for no particular reason.

I kept freeing my hard disk until there is 15% of free memory, and conducted a defrag. The hard disk usage is still the same (8.25 gig) when I click properties of the hard disk. However, when I highlighted all the files inside the hard disk and check the size usage it's only 7.03 gig. And size on disk is only 6.06 gig!

May I know what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Maybe this little info will help? When I started up my computer this morning the engine was making very noisy sounds.. had to restart to disable the sounds. Could it be that it "destroyed" 1 gig of the hard disk?

So your saying you transfered 200mb to another disk and your old hdd still have not increased even though you transfered the files?

If so just delete the files off your old hdd since you transfered the files to another hdd.

When you copy files from one hard drive to another, it doesn't move the files, it just makes a copy, and pastes it on the other HDD. So just delete the files on the old HDD and you should be fine. Trust me on this one, I have a 40GB in my PC, a 40GB in my network server, and a 20GB drive I got off a friend, and I copy files between them all the time to make space where and when I need it! Hehehehe, which means I have to do it alot! :D

Hi! Thanks for replying.. Wow this forum really rocks! Oh, actually I cut the files and move them into another hard drive. There is no change in memory though initially.

However, I think about 2 hours after I posted this entry, suddenly the memory shot back up miraculously. I've no idea why..

But thanks for the help still! :) Hopefully the problem won't arise again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom