Help With Relocation OF Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathalb4

Solid State Member
Help With Storing MEdia/Data on My Internal HD
Help..
I moved from canada from Ireland 1 year ago. I had to HDs in My PC in Ireland. One For the operating Sytem and the other for storage. I took the one for storage out of the PC when i Moved to Canada and left the Operating sytem one in the PC in Ireland.
The one I Took With Me is an 80gb Western Digital and has been IDle for a good few months until i recently discovered i had a slot for it in my PC here. I had taught all this time that my PC here in Canada been new, only had Sata Connectors but it actually has a one connector for the old Western Digital, so i Installed it along with the existing Sata and an extra 1 Tb Sata.
My worry is this.
The 80 Gb from Ireland shows up empty! It is useable but empty?? I am ok as i have all the data elsewhere but....
I do not want to take the same risk with the new 1Tb Sata I am using as i intend using it for storage purposes for all my Data/Media.
My operating Sytem is on a seperate 100Gb Hard Drive.
Can anyone explain why the old 80gb shows up empty but useable as i did not delete the data. And also how can I Know I am safe storing Data on my New Internal 1 TB as i may switch that to another PC in The Future???
I do have an external TB which is full hence the reason I Got another one, but opted for the internal option this time. I Know i can probably get an external enclosure but at the same time i would like to know a safe way to leave it internal and not have the same thing happen as happened with my 80gb???
Help PLease
Help PLEase

It sounds as though the 80Gig is NTFS File System
And you are trying to view it with a Fat32 Windows system
Note: You can check if your Windows is Fat32 by:
My Computer > right click on your C drive > Properties
Look for the "File system" entry. It'll either say NTFS or FAT32.

It sounds as though the 80Gig is NTFS File System
And you are trying to view it with a Fat32 Windows system
Note: You can check if your Windows is Fat32 by:
My Computer > right click on your C drive > Properties
Look for the "File system" entry. It'll either say NTFS or FAT32.

I Checked...My Windows on C Drive Here in Canada Is NTFS... Could it Be That When In Ireland the 80gig was Fat 32 Sytsem?
Can You Explain the difference and which is better?

the pc in ireland was an old dell dimension bought in october 2000...i installed windows xp on it in 2004 the system here in canada is only 1 year old..and has widows vista 32bit... dunno if this helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom