help recovering files from slave hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildacex187

Solid State Member
hi guys. i would just like to thank anybody that can help me out with this problem. here it goes:

i recently re-installed windows on my computer. before i did though i went in and deleted the partition from both drive (dunno why i did that, i dont remember doing that before). i dont remember if i created a partion in the slave or not but when i go into windows finally i went into my computer to transfer some files onto my master drive but when i double click on the slave it asked me to reformat. now im not an expert but i think that means everything will be erased. i tried everything i know to see if i can get it to work but nothing i know works. a friend told me that the files might be there and that if i dont write anything onto that drive that they wont get deleted.

can anybody help me recover these files. there are very important school files, financial and personal. pls guys guide me in the right direction

When you reformat, it means that you lose everything. A quick format (if available) will just hide the files, so you have a small chance to recover them with a backup utility. A full format will remove and delete the files from the hard drive, making them impossible to backup.

When formatting, don't touch the slave drive. Leave it as it is. Only format the main Master drive.

ok ok i downloaded a program called active partition recovery 5.0. it actually found all the files but for me to recover it i need to buy the full program. can anybody help me find a program that will recover the files for free or can provide me with a name and serial#, if they have paid for it of course :)

Umm, it is possible to get the files off of a formatted hard drive unless you copy files onto it. Technically you only hide the files and until data is overwritten it does not go bye bye (granted I could be wrong but this is why they say if you commit a crime they can still recover your hard drive unless you whipe it with a magnet or run a program to copy and delete programs that fill the entire hard drive over and over)

i never formatted it. i havent done anything to the drive. i just ran that program and its telling me the files are there but i need to buy it to recover :(

talldude123 said:
Yep, recovery programs are real expensive. Cheap way to do it: don't format your slave drive :D

He deleted the partition the slave was using. Now, he has to format it.

but if i format wont i lose everything? i've downloaded many programs that show me damn the files but i need to pay for them. is there another FREE way?

You won't loose everything if you format. You masy loose some data, however. Good software should allow you to recover from an unformatted partition.

I can't really suggest a free alternative unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom